Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see ads for Chi pups all the time, where the "breeders" have NO clue what they are talking about.

I just came across one for a "(rare) medium haired, blue merle puppy". She was actually a chocolate merle with a long coat, that I guess someone not familiar with long coats could mistake their puppy fluff for "medium length". She also has a few other puppies of different/"designer" breeds for sale.

I politely sent her an email correcting and wishing her luck finding her a home.

I guess it just bothers me to see people so uneducated about the breed, well, breeding! Am I alone on this?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It drives me mad too - but so long as there are people who will hand over money these people will continue :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh gosh, it is a pet peeve of mine too!!!

We have had ads in our newspaper for weiner dog puppies for sale. Give me a break! Or another one - DATSUN puppies. Now come on! You don't even know how to spell your own breed and your selling pups?!

Outrageous.

I also see ads ALL THE TIME for super tiny Chi puppies that are 2 pounds at 8 weeks. Ummm.... yeah, they are tiny now but they won't be tiny as adults!!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL!!! I SO know what you mean, Tracy!!! I see completely misspelled breed names all the time, and I literally cringe from head to toe when I see "CHIWAWA" - Ugh!!!

I totally agree about the weight. I also see that crap in ads all the time! It's like hello...They are supposed to be around the 6lb mark, give or take, as adults. How much do you honestly expect them to weigh as puppies!?! Being 2lbs is obviously not a remarkably small dog for that age. xD

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pippins mom, I know!!! It makes you want to ask them, why? how big are the "standards" you've seen? xD

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I see that all the time, people who don't know what they are talking about or those who sell 'mutts' as designer breeds for $1,000.00. That really annoys me. There is a so called breeder here who always had 'teacup' puppies that are 2-3# at 8 weeks....um Zoey was 2-3# at like 6 months lol....and there is no such thing as a 'teacup' chihuahua. I see the breed misspelling too. I saw a Chiwawa for sale one lmbo!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Oh please don't even get me started on the weight thing. :lol: I want to pull my hair completely out over it. :lol: I can't even read ads anymore. It amazes me how little some "breeders" know. Or when it comes to the weight thing, they just aren't honest!!! “Here is tiny Tim, he is 6 months old, full grown, and weighs 3 lbs.” :lol: :lol: But is clearly 5 or so lbs. and still going to grow!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
....um Zoey was 2-3# at like 6 months lol....!
I hear ya! You can easily get another 1.5 lbs. out of them from 6 months to full growth. But you see so many breeders trying to convince people that they are full grown at that age! It’s crazy! I have never, ever seen a Chi stop growing at 6 months!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh please don't even get me started on the weight thing. :lol: I want to pull my hair completely out over it. :lol: I can't even read ads anymore. It amazes me how little some "breeders" know. Or when it comes to the weight thing, they just aren't honest!!! “Here is tiny Tim, he is 6 months old, full grown, and weighs 3 lbs.” :lol: :lol: But is clearly 5 or so lbs. and still going to grow!
And thank goodness we have you here T! to educate people.
I know you have surely helped me a ton.

Jus sayin'

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
And thank goodness we have you here T! to educate people.
I know you have surely helped me a ton.

Jus sayin'
Awww, what a sweet thing to say. Thank you! :daisy: I don't mind helping at all. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
It irritates me as well. Not that I am any kind of expert, but sheesh.

I almost wish that it was more difficult to breed dogs. Not that I want it to be a hellish jump through hoops to be a breeder as there are so many responsible and educated breeders out there. I just think there should be licenses, and fines for those who are selling puppies without one. I have in mind the literal hundreds of pitbull pups that are being trafficked around here, as well as one yorkie mill in the area.

When I adopted Pippa the woman who surrendered her had it put that she was a "fawn purebred chiwawa" lol, she is white with a fawn stripe down her back.

·
Registered
852 Posts
We have had ads in our newspaper for weiner dog puppies for sale. Give me a break! Or another one - DATSUN puppies. Now come on! You don't even know how to spell your own breed and your selling pups?!
Urghhh don't! One time I saw an ad for "Chiwawa" puppies. Seriously?!

Its just annoying that people aren't doing their homework, seeing the word "rare" or "teacup" or even just a low price for a pup and running out and buying it.

Blue pups seem to be more common these days (atleast than they were a year or so ago) so now the new buzzword is 'lavender', which seems to mean that the pup can be sold for over £1,000 :rolleyes: I guess people assume its an entirely different colour.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, chocolate blue, or "lavender", is a different colour. It's a chocolate dilute, where blue is a direct black dilute. :3 In any case, it's not rare at all either.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Lol Not to be awkward but if that's the case, I'd see them as chocolates then :)

I could be wrong but as far as I'm aware, you can't register a Chihuahua pup as 'Lavender'.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It bothers me as well. People come up to me when I'm out with my little Peanut, and they ask what type of dog is he. I'm sick of saying Chihuahua every 3 minutes, so now I'm saying a mini-golden retreiver, and people are believing me, lol!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lavender is just a fancy term for chocolate blue, or even silver. Which are registrable colours.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts