Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've started feeding my dog ZiwiPeak and I've got the air dried daily portion figured out for now but not quite the canned. I emailed ZiwiPeak about around how much canned food they thought I should feed (if I fed it alone and not mixed with anything) and the girl said about two heaped Tablespoons a day (one morning one night). Does this sound like enough for a 7 pound 4 year old Chihuahua? She's not super active, she's kind of lazy actually. She gets 2 walks a day that equal 20-40 minutes, depending on how far she wants to go. Just trying to get other Chi owners opinions on if this will be enough for her daily.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also would like to know this. Turbo is similar.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It doesn't seem like enough at all, my Chi puppy gets much, much more then that. I'm guessing for a 7lb dog to, with ZiwiPeak air dried, around 3 quarters of a cup or a cup, maybe even a cup and a half (depends on the structure of Chihuahua, exact activity level, etc) but considering the walk lengths, I'm guessing around 1 cup would be fine for her.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
No, that isn't enough. Use the scoop that comes in the bag and go off of the feeding guidelines. Both of my dogs get a little less than 3/4 of that scoop per day. One is an 8 month old puppy (6lbs) and the other is 1 yr 3 months (5-5.5 lbs)

I would start him off with 1/3 scoop or so twice a day. That is about what the bag recommends.

Edit: I see that you are feeding the canned ZP. Sorry, I don't know the feeding guidelines on the canned food. 2 tablespoons doesn't seem like enough though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Puppies usually eat more than an adult dog of the same weight, though. But yeah, make sure you go off of the feeding guidelines and then adjust them to your dog's needs. By that I mean.. start with the feeding guidelines and if you notice her gaining weight, reduce the amount you feed (or increase her exercise, or both). If she's losing too much weight, bulk up the amount you feed.

Teddy is pretty inactive. He gets three short (10-15 minutes or so) walks a day and eats about 11 ounces of wet food daily (as per the feeding instructions) plus he's free-fed ZiwiPeak. Even when fed venison treats and extras (like a sliver of grilled chicken breast) it's tough to keep weight on him! I have to really monitor his body weight and try to give him things like yogurt, cheese, or peanut butter sometimes if he drops too low.

My point is.. don't take the feeding instructions as law. When Teddy is fed per the feeding instructions he's still on the thin side. Some dogs just need more or less, depending on their body. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts