Chihuahua People Forum banner

How many having barking pups?

• Do they bark at people?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are they friendly to people and don't bark?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Axle was very quiet until Bella came back home. She started him barking at anything. Most of the time they don't bark, but if they think someone is coming in the house or they hear something unusual they bark. We can't even take them out cause every time someone comes near the car they bark. When we were at the beach they barked at anyone that came close to them. They would eventually warm up to the stranger and let them pet them after a while (very warily). I read about people going to dog parks and dog get-togethers but I don't see how I could get them to participate without always barking. One thing that is good is that if anyone comes into the house late I always know about it. :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I don't know how to answer your poll.

My girls like to sit in the front window at home and bark at people or dogs walking by. They think they are protecting us, ya know, being watch dogs.

But when we are out of the house shopping, or driving around they love everyone and want to be petted by everyone.
They also want everyone that comes in the house to pet them. If the person doesn't pet them, they will bark at them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Angel is very much like Ms_P described. She will bark at people outside that she sees from our window but when we are out walking, she is well behaved and just wants to give everyone kissies. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper only barks at the back door when he needs to go outside and potty. Otherwise, he doesn't bark at all.

Oops... he DOES bark if we drive past cattle and I pull over and let him see them... then he goes WILD, barking and telling the cattle who's the boss. :lol:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Cooper will bark at strangers until he gets to smell them..usually. He is quite a barker, and will bark at most strange noises outside, or he goes nutso if someone's at the door. I wish he didn't bark so much...for some reason it really stresses me out! But he is a dog and dogs do bark so I can't be too mad at him :wink: :D

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
barking

Yoshi only barks if someone sneaks up on him or if he hears something he isnt sure about.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella is a barker...someone on here recommended using a water bottle to get her to stop when asked and believe me, it works...I only sprayed it in her direction once...I had told her to stop barking..she kept on...I sprayed the water in front of her face and now all I have to say is ....." Do I need to get the water bottle ? " and she stops barking immediately...even our staff say it her LOL

·
Registered
854 Posts
Eddy and Emma both will bark when someone comes to the door ( which is handy as I don't always here the doorbell) but they generally settle down when I open the door and won't bark. They won't bark if we are out somewhere even if they hear another dog bark although Ed will mumble under his breath :lol:

They also think they are protecting the sidewalks in front of our house and will bark occassionally if someone is walking by. I just tell them to hush... and that only bad dogs bark. Ed then proceeds to mumble in his throat instead which makes me laugh!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well my two are like chalk and cheese! Elmo never ever barks unless a dog comes running over to him and barks. He adores people and dogs and just runs over to them tail wagging. Whereas Roo likes to people watch throguh the window and bark at anyone he thinks might be an intruder or another dog

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gizmo does not bark real often. He does bark if someone comes to the door. And at night he sees ghosts out side the windows sometimes, and then he barks like mad. But other than that he is quiet...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
When Hershey gets older, I don't know what will happen, but as of right now, he rarely barks. Course when he does, like if he is playing with a cat, it's a wee little bark. LOL! :lol: I'm really hoping he will not be a big barker. We live in a House divided into 3 apartments and I'd hate the neighbors to get mad cause of a barking dog. :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was going to ask this same question...because Reuben doesn't bark at anything BUT the one cat who is his playmate...when the cat plops down in front of him and won't play, Reuben barks at him!!! He also once growled at my husband's hairy arm...but I think that was mistaken identification!!! LOL!!!
Reuben's almost 4...do you think he'll become a barker? Or are barkers 'born' that way?
I had a visitor to the house...it might have been the first time the doorbell's rung (maybe not) and there was NO reaction from Reuben other than the curious head tilt!
Jill

·
Registered
718 Posts
Diego didn't bark at all until around 5 months. Now he loves to bark and I hate it. I'm going to try the water bottle trick and hopefully it will help!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't know how to answer the poll-Taco barks quite a bit at people walking or at the door, but once they're inside or they have arrived, then he's really friendly. And he barks at things that go bump in the night and Buster.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I really couldn't choose either of the options - Jazzy will bark if someone knocks on the door or walks up in the yard, and she barks at a cat who lays on our back patio every morning - just to annoy her I think! :lol:

As soon as someone comes inside the house, she stops barking and just wants to give them kisses. She occasionally will bark at night, if she hears any noises outside.

Personally, I'm glad to have her alert me if someone comes to the door or in the yard. I live alone, and it's good to know she will make me aware of anyone coming up.

She doesn't bark at people when I take her places with me, or take her walking. She just wants to lick everybody to death. :lol:

·
Registered
565 Posts
bonnie will bark at strangers for the first few minutes, then settles down. when we first moved she used to bark at new sounds (the dryer buzzer, phone ringing, etc) but that only lasted a week or two. She barks in playing...but isn't really a huge barker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts