Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chi always barks at toddlers or kids and does not stop! My Chi definitely prefers adults ... why are some like that around kids?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I think it's because the kids dart around and move so fast it's scary for such small animals. And the pitch of their voices seem to set mine off, too.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Lion will growl at kids, but he loves my younger brother who is 7. He will lick his face and sit in his lap. Penny runs up to everyone, but kids scare her sometimes because they move so fast.

If kids ask to pet my dogs, I usually just tell them Penny is the friendlier one and let them pet her. Lion is nervous around strangers and I don't want to risk him biting someone for the first time.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
6 of my 7 prefer kids over adults. (well Lulu loves everyone LOL) Maya, who we didn't get until she was 1 1/2 never was socialized around kids while the rest of my crew grew up around my girls, neice & nephew not to mention the kids that come over for sleep overs. We have much more young "company" that stays long enough for my pups to get comfortable around them where as the older company come & go more. They'll bark at everyone when they first arrive (myself included LOL) but settle in a minute or two no matter who it is. But kids...they get friendly with very quickly. Even Matilda who still won't let my dad pat her most of the time (he lives right next door) will let new kids hold her. If a new adult came in the house & tried to pick her up she'd bite. And I will say...I don't let random kids pick her up. All children that come into my house have strict instructions not to touch or corner her. But when she comes to them & sits in their laps & gives them kisses...it's all good. LOL

Anyway, Maya never was socialized around kids & it took her 2 weeks to not to try to attack my girls after she came here. She is very weird when we have kid visitors...the smaller the more she freaks on them so in the crate she goes. Small children are unpredicatable & I just don't trust them or her with them.

I think it depends on how your Chi's grow up. If there are lots of kids around they'll not be so insecure with their presence. It's all about early socialization.... :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow I got lucky with Dixie liking kids. I've always been so worried about having a dog that doesn't like them. I had a boxer...he liked kids, but did snap acouple times, so we had to keep him away from them. Dixie is completely the opposite. ANY kid, she goes crazy and wants to be all over them. Adults (strangers) she will hide from.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Both of mine love kids. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gracie is fine with kids, but she does bark. I think she only does it because she senses Pedro's dislike of them...He was abused by children before we got him, so that's our biggest worry with him. He even senses that teens aren't full fledged adults! He's much better than he used to be, but I would never trust him around a baby or small child.

Worrisome, since I have a new grandson on the way next month...:(

He will have to be kept away from him, period.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
One of mine does and the other wants to be in their face licking them!
LOL!!! Let me guesss....Hope is the lover of kids :)

Since mine are around my kids all the time..I think they are more tollerant. But...sudden movement by the kids does make them bark.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
GOOD guess. It looks like this...

That was at Christmas. They just visited again and Ruby barked half the first day they were here. My granddaughter is mobile now and Ruby really got used to her. Both girls learned to run for higher ground once the baby squealed and took off toward them. She just kept saying, "pup, pup". It was SO cute!

I think a big thing is not to force anything. My mom came over and was trying to hold Ruby to let her smell the baby and such. Finally convinced my mom to let them work it out themselves and they did.

Now, children unfamiliar to her, that is a different story. She barks at children places like car shows and things. It surprises me since we take them so many places. She was 14 weeks when we got her and she has just been skittish sort of from the beginning.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My puppies LOVE kids. Especially Izzie. She will chase after random kids to go play and stuff, but Bella needs a lil bit to warm up to kiddos then she loves them. Neither ever bark or growl here, but Bella will steer clear of them if she isn't sure about them. But they have always been around kids ages 1-5, so they are used to them. They love licking them to death too.. lol. Izzie even kissed a little boy she didn't know in Wal-Mart yesterday, lol.

This is my neighbor's lil girl that just turned 5. She LOVES the girls and comes to see them all the time, lol. She is great with them and has known them their whole life. She also has a 1 year old sister that is around them a lot also.

But like others said, sudden movements by the kids that make noise and stuff can make them bark. Or if they can't see the kids and they make a loud noise with toys or something. Otherwise, nothin.. :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi my buster gets so excited when my 4 grandchildren come over but he is nervous so i try to keep him out of the runway so he doesnt get trampeled

·
Banned
13 Posts
My little "Guapo" loves children. But he seems to be a good judge of character. He growls at people who are bad. What I mean, is I know several people who are not "morally up to par" and he seems to know that and let's them know. He's so awesome!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sparkles was fine in the beginning with kids but my daughter put my 3 year old grandson in time out and he pinched her hard. I was livid. Now any child that enters my home she barks at nonstop untip I hold her. Chanel is very loving to kids.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts

This is Lion with my 7 year old brother. He doesn't like all kids, but LOOOVES my brother. He will lick his face non stop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Foster barks at everything , he does not like men around me .... He barks at the things he does not like , my cat , but not the neighbors , and at people walking towards him that he does not know , but not while walking .... he is still very young, and we have our homework to do "socializing 101 ..... yikes !!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts