Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure If i should allow my chihuahua to be able to just get on the couch or my bed whenever she wants, because I don't want her to become possesive, remember I don't have her yet, so should I wait and see how she acts when I do get her home? Ijust want to be really prepared and get the best personality from my sweet little Gypsy. :]]

Also if your dog was possesive what did you do to break her/him of that?

Do you let your dog be on the furniture no problems? I just need feedback

THANKS.. Sarah :]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Sarah-

I think this will depend a lot on your dog's personality and on how quickly you start to socialize her. I started Lola off right away with lots of socialization and she has never displayed any signs of possessiveness over anything (even her favorite toys).

She is now big enough to jump up on the couch, but she can't jump up on the bed anymore, it is just too high for her after she had her surgery.

Best of luck with your new puppy when you get her. I think it is great that you are trying to get advice before you bring her home :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Dogs have just been recently allowed on bed free rein.....couch/chair we must be there and they are invited........

It will depend on your dogs personality as to whether they will consider themselves alpha...I think if you show it everywhere else then that might be ok!! :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie is free to roam but he will not jump up on the furniture. He stands at your foot for you to pick him up. He just found out about 1 month ago that he can jump off the couch Ther e went all my floor cleaning. I use to be safe to do it by putting him on the couch :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
When we first got Chili, he was not even allowed on laps on furniture. Once he was housebroken and understood he is bottom rung of the family totem, he is now allowed on furniture. What's funny, though, is that he has no interest in being on any furniture unless there is a lap (or better yet, my boobs) to snuggle on on top of the furniture. He would rather curl up on the floor or in his crate than on the couch, chairs or bed if we are all busy doing things. I have yet to see him jump on any furniture by himself.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
at first Jamoka didn't jump at all, then i started putting a cat cube(the one you can sleep in ) next to the bed and showed him how to jump up on the bed. but now i've started only letting him on the bed when i say he could get on. but everything else he has free run of

·
Registered
127 Posts
In his room he is allowed on the couch because that is where he stays when I am not at home.

In the family room he is only allowed if I pick him up and he must sit on a lap or on his bed (which I sometimes place on the couch).

Snicks can't jump on the bed by himself because its too high so I don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Poppy cant jump up onto the sofa or the bed because they are too high, but she would if she could! :lol: I am really house proud and was worried that things would get covered in hair..I hate it when you sit down in black pants and get up covered in hairs...aaagh! But she does have free run of the house and always sits on our laps when we are in the living room on the sofa. As for being possesive, she has never been that way, only because we made it clear that everything was OURS, including the toys, and we had the right to touch them or take them away.She understood that pretty quickly. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts