Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed in the last few days Nemo has little sores on himself. They dont seem bothersome to him. Just like from scratching or something. until I got the frontline he only had a few fleas. but im thinking thats what it might be from. Any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
Fleas can cause crusty little sores-at the back of the neck, at the base of the ears and sometimes near the tail. Once the fleas are gone the sores heal in no time at all...What is strange is how quickly they can appear with the infestation of fleas.
In some dogs, like golden retrievers, corgis-to name a couple they can be referred as "hot spots"-seems like the fleas gather at these spots and the dog starts digging-can continue scratching, digging until all the hair in that spot is gone. Then it is a process the heal the sore and let the hair grow back in...ugly... :wave: My vet told me once that you can tell a dog that has these hot spots by their teeth-it wears the teeth done because they chew at the spots-the hair is very abrasive to the teeth-strange, but true. I have had corgis and I had one that did this-chewed herself every summer. I have never seen a chi do this particular behavior. It may be because they have shorter hair, or maybe because they are small, they are easier to keep clean-after all they are house dogs...but they may just keep themselves cleaner...seems like chis are very clean little dogs..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts