Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to if any of you guys have any luck with raw fish? I haven't tried it yet but my girl would never touch any fish based kibble or canned food in the past. Don't know if she would hate raw fish too. I'm hoping she'll eat it so I can stop giving fish oil supplements. I was thinking about ordering some sardine grind from Hare Today (I tend to order from there a lot, makes things easier for me). Is there a certain type of fish you and/or your dog prefers?

Also, I don't know why but I worry about parasites and crap in fish. Is there any reason for me to worry about that and is there any fish I should avoid?

· Read Only
1,949 Posts
I haven't fed raw fish before, but I sometimes mix in a little canned tuna or salmon with their raw meals or pre made raws... They love it! I know that you aren't supposed to feed tuna often because it can have high levels of mercury in it.

· Registered
14,454 Posts
I know people who feed raw sardines, smelts and other fish from asian markets. They are whole, just degutted but still have the head, the fins, scales etc. Their dogs do great. Some dogs really go for fish, some not so much. Brody is in the fish are YUCK camp unfortunately.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll definitely get a pound and see what she thinks of it. Keeping my fingers crossed, I'd love to be able to stop buying fish oils.

Do you think the sardine grind would be more of a boney meal and I should also give a boneless meat the day she eats it too? Not too sure about fish bone content.

· Registered
14,454 Posts
I'll definitely get a pound and see what she thinks of it. Keeping my fingers crossed, I'd love to be able to stop buying fish oils.

Do you think the sardine grind would be more of a boney meal and I should also give a boneless meat the day she eats it too? Not too sure about fish bone content.
Great question. Maybe you could email Tracey at Hare Today and ask her what the bone content is?

· Registered
946 Posts
I have fed canned sardines for years. I get both the olive oil and water based. I add something firming with it like puréed carrots-raw, or some chicken necks. The bone content is not very much from the stools my produce, and from what I see. It is a great way to get vitamin B12 in them for sure! I try to give them 2-3x a month. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.