Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you lean on him?

Gizzy will growl and jump if you lean on him at all while he is laying down. He doesn't mind hands or arms, but body or leg (even if it's just slight pressure resting on him).

It's almost like he knows he can br crushed so he panics if a crushable object is layed on him (ie a body part).

I am guessing hubby or a kid sat on a part of him (he looooves to dart under you while you are sitting) and now he gets angry when he think it might happen again.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
nope bijoux is smooshed almost every night and lincoln is a giant pillow.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Sounds like a dominance issue to be honest. Ours don't growl at us because we are their pack leader and we wouldn't allow it.

My advice, whenever he does this to you would be to say "No!" firmly after he growls, and pick him up and set him down off the chair or couch or whatever. Sounds more like he's claiming his position by not wanting to move; as opposed to 'panicking.' When you say he likes to "dart under you," that's him trying to move in and claim that spot first.

Dominance issues should be taken seriously... but if you take initiative soon enough it is not a difficult thing to handle. You just need to be firm and stand your ground. Any form of aggression can escalate... and a lot of small dogs get this 'big dog syndrome' from being allowed to get away with too much just because the owner might misinterpret the behaviors as something else.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree 100% with Kat in the post above. This is clearly dominance, not fear of being sat on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts