Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a dog in a long time, and when I did have mine, microchipping wasn't anything anyone really did. Now that I am about to get Paris, I'm wondering if I should have her microchipped or not. What do you think? Do you have your dog/s microchipped? Also, what is the price for it?

Thanks! :wave:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Zeus was already microchipped when I got him. All we had to do was register the chip with our info. It really does give me a good piece of mind. Many humane societies offer this service as well as most vets.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Both of mine are chipped. You cannot feel it at all, and they never noticed anything different. I can't remember how much it cost, sorry. :(

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.

Where do they put the micro-chip? I'm thinking I'll wait until I have her spayed, and have the micro-chip put in at the same time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
nikki&paris said:
Thanks everyone.

Where do they put the micro-chip? I'm thinking I'll wait until I have her spayed, and have the micro-chip put in at the same time.
My three cats had chips put in when we lived in Spain. It was inserted with a little staple gun type thing. Painless and quick. I haven't had Punky done because I don''t know how effective it is in the States. In Spain it's mandatory and the Vets there won't vaccinate a pet until they check the chip and match it to you (the owner). If someone finds a pet here in PR they usually just put up signs but don't take them anywhere to read a chip.
They also steal pets here (I lost a siamese that way) and Vets don't check for chips.
How about in the USA mainland, any thoughts, since I'll be moving back soon?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
punky said:
nikki&paris said:
Thanks everyone.

My three cats had chips put in when we lived in Spain. It was inserted with a little staple gun type thing. Painless and quick. I haven't had Punky done because I don''t know how effective it is in the States. In Spain it's mandatory and the Vets there won't vaccinate a pet until they check the chip and match it to you (the owner). If someone finds a pet here in PR they usually just put up signs but don't take them anywhere to read a chip.
They also steal pets here (I lost a siamese that way) and Vets don't check for chips.
How about in the USA mainland, any thoughts, since I'll be moving back soon?

at the animal hospital i worked at whenver someone would bring in a dog for a new pet exam we checked for a chip in the back (some people would take offense to this if done in front of them so we were low key about it.) whenever i find a dog i take it to my ex job and have it checked for a chip. shelters always check when they have a stray. there have been many succes stories about lost pets finding their way sue to the chip.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
nikki&paris said:
Thanks everyone.

they put the chip right between the shoulder blades. here's the link to the recent thread we had about chipping. i posted pics of the needle that it is done with....

http://chihuahua-people.com/viewtop...postorder=asc&highlight=microchipping&start=0

some day it is painless for them, like a vaccine injection but others say it hurts a little more than vaccines. i'm going to get chiwi done while having her spay so in case it does hurt, she won't feel it lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts