Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought that when a dog eats grass, it means they have an upset stomach. Is this true? Midgie doesn't eat grass hardly ever, but she's outside eating it now. Not sure if I should be letting her do it. She just ate some salmon, chicken livers & gizzards. She wasn't acting like she didn't feel well, so I'm surprised she's eating the grass.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Sometimes Jerry will just nibble on a bit of grass. Tabitha eats dandelions regularly!
I don't think it's much to worry about in the absence of any other signs of illness :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's not unusual for dogs to eat grass, but it still makes you wonder if they're not feeling well & you hope it passes. It worries me even tho I know she'll be o.k. She's acting find, sleeping on my lap & I haven't seen her throw up although I have my door propped open for her to go out if she does have to throw up. Anyway, thanks for the input Therese!!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The members of a raw feeding group I'm a member of attribute grazing to supplementing the diet rather than illness, and claim their dogs are less likely to do it when fed veg. Mine get green tripe, which contains digested grass, they don't generally graze. They do pinch the odd blade from the guinea pigs though, but I think that is jealousy lol.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think some dogs just like the taste of grass. Just make sure there's no pesticide residue or bug spray, etc. on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think some dogs just like the taste of grass. Just make sure there's no pesticide residue or bug spray, etc. on it.
^^ I agree with Brodysmom. Two of my 3 graze on grass occasionally.... but my Mini Poodle has no interest. I think my other two just like the taste.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A few of mine are grass-nibblers too. I notice though it's only certain kinds; though don't know enough about grass to identify it lol. I agree with Tracy; just make sure its "clean" and let them enjoy if its not causing problems. The one book I have actually has types of grasses and instructions on growing them indoors; to actually feed to them and what benefits theyd have lol. I should post a few quotes from that book on here come to think of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts