Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know all chi's don't like wearing clothes. I don't even want her to wear them that often, only to keep her warm...I have been putting one of those warm socks that I cut into a little shirt for her. She HATES it. I put it on and she walks all funny and acts like somethings stuck up her butt lol...any suggestions, the little girl has to stay warm without me cuddling her in a blanket...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
There are two methods I would use... "1 is the put it on and leave it on" method - put it on and leave it on even if she doesnt like it and just get on with the day as if everything is normal - dogs often take cues from us, if we think its normal they do.

Or make it the most exciting thing ever - loads and loads of praise, attention, high-vaule treats. making wearing something the best thing to ever have happened. It really just depends on what your dog is like as to which method would work best for your dog.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have one who loves warm clothes, one who is fine with them and one who really does not like them. I do sometimes put things on her. Nothing with accessories or ruffly, just basic stuff and she flails around and rubs up against the fireplace and such trying to get it off. I usually take it off after some time. I figure if she really does not like it, she does not need it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi,

I find that coats get distracting from going potty, and that my 12 wks old long haired pup doesn't seem to mind the cold outside anyway. He also goes faster that way.

If you are wondering about inside the house, maybe make a place your dog can snuggle even if you are not available to help. The dog can keep itself warm that way. Good luck ! They are funny little dogs, aren't they?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 3 that likes clothes and 2 that do not. For the ones that do not I just keep it to a minimum.

I also will sometimes put their clothes in the dryer a bit first bc well that always feels great.. and give treats..

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jax whined and complained the first couple of times we put his clothes on him.
There are times that we put on his clothes and find him later with the clothes all stretched around from where he has rolled around in them, I assume from scratching and trying to get them off.
He has one coat that he seems to just not like at all. It is not because it is too small but he seems to want out if it as soon as we put it on and usually whines constantly. It is a soft fuzzy outfit that looks really comfy but he just won't take to it. I think dogs are just like us in a way there are some clothes that they just do not like.
Good luck in getting your little one to grow accustomed to clothes. I hated to be out in the cold with a coat on and Jax did not have anything to protect him it made me feel horrible until we got him used to wearing clothes.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My Lua was like that from day one! If I put something on her she will just sit and pout. I can just ignore her, take a shower or something and she still won't have moved the next time I check on her. I finally gave up; at least on the pretty clothes. She wears coats and hoodies though; if it's something to keep her warm I just put it on her when she's already on the couch or something. That way if she doesn't want to move, she doesn't have to, LOL.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Most of mine either love clothes or don't mind them. Isis has a total fit if I try to put things on her. She practically turns herself inside out, slips her collar and pees on me. When she gets away, still without clothes on, she sulks and won't come near me for hours. I decided for both our well being, she will go without clothes from now on. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts