Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1/3-1/2 stick, right before I got home, I think. Vomited once. Vet says no food or water tonight and bland food tomorrow. Mentioned danger of pancreitis.

She has been on the couch awhile grooming her paws, now is up, wagging tail, probably wanting her dinner.

Any advice? Thanks -Bob

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I wouldn't feed her if the vet said not too. I bet her tummy is not gonna feel too good after all of that grease. They can develop Pancreatitis from things like that, as your vet mentioned. I'd go with boiled Chicken and rice, no salt, no additives for tomorrow and see how it goes. Hope she is much better tomorrow. You might not notice the effects of the Butter until tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. How is pancreitus treated? Lucy just vomited again, the largest so far- seems like it all must have come up now.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Usually by fasting. Normally Pancreatitis will cause vomiting, so meds for that will be given. Since they can become dehydrated, at times it requires IV fluids. Pretty much it is treated symptomatically until the pancreas is at "rest" again.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I wouldn't give her any food at all, treats, nothing until tomorrow. And only very bland foods. Chicken and boiled rice, no salt, nothing added.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much. One more question: White or Brown rice?

Lucy is now asleep in her basket by the fire. I feel so bad to be the cause of this. I have only had Lucy here sice this last summer and she is really starting to come along and is a very sweet dog. I would hate to lose her this way or have her endure a long illness.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I think she will be fine. Try not to worry. Just be sure if she seems worse to take her back in. I'd get some Pedialyte and start giving her that in the morning. Just start slow, using a medicine dropper. You don't want to give to much cause it can start her throwing up again. If she continues to vomit, call the vet. They will need to put her on some meds to stop it. Plus, you don't want her to get dehydrated.

I always have used white, but I think some say Brown is more nutritional. I really think white is fine, though.

Don't blame yourself. Really. Things can happen so suddenly with these little guys. Things we never even think about. It's not your fault. :)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
hope the pup is better by tomorrow! eeeeek even i dont eat that much butter. chis have the weirdest taste buds ever lol :albino:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for your time. It's very nice of you. Lucy is still asleep and I think the vomiting is over. When I probe her belly there seems to be no pain. Now I'll wait for the diarrhea. The Pedialyte is a great idea, I used it myself once when I got dehydrated.

I lost my last dog, Gidget, this last summer- after an operation for kidney stones, she got lymphoma a week later. It nearly killed me, too. I decided I preferred not to live without a dog, and went to the pound and adopted Lucy three weeks later. So I guess I'm over-emotional now.

B

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Geeezzz..when I was young, our Irish setter licked a whole 1 lb tub of butter clean, it looked like that tub had been washed in the washer lol!!

Lori

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
You aren't being over emotional. She's your baby. I can totally 100% understand your concern. It's very scary when our babies are sick, and we aren't sure what's going on.

You're very welcome! I don't mind at all. If mine were ill, I would hope someone would take the time to help me as well.

No pain and tightness in the belly is a good sign. She may get some diarrhea, but I think within 24 hours you should see everything starting to resolve. Just stick to the bland diet. And if any other symptoms become present, don't hesitate to take her back in.

I'm sorry to hear about your Gidget. :( That is very sad. RIP dear Angel.

Lucy is a lucky little lady to have you. Get well soon, Princess.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I used to eat butter plain when I was a kid. :/ I wouldn't dream of doing that now. Ick! :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess individual reactions vary, but a lb. of butter for a Setter is still less than 1/2 stick for an 11 lb. dog.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I guess individual reactions vary, but a lb. of butter for a Setter is still less than 1/2 stick for an 11 lb. dog.
Yes, even just 1/2 teaspoon of Butter for Lucy would be far too much for her tummy.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
My sister did that, too
:lol: It's odd, isn't it. I'm not sure why I liked that stuff. I can remember doing it when my Mom wasn't watching. :lol: What a nut I was. :lol:

Another odd thing I did. Not Butter, but odd. :lol: I would take the crust off of Bread, and roll it up in a hard ball and eat it. :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:lol: It's odd, isn't it. I'm not sure why I liked that stuff. I can remember doing it when my Mom wasn't watching. :lol: What a nut I was. :lol:

Another odd thing I did. Not Butter, but odd. :lol: I would take the crust off of Bread, and roll it up in a hard ball and eat it. :lol:
I did that too! It works best with the cheap white bread we ate back then!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Always thought the butter eating thing was a reaction to a nutritional deficiency of some type.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts