Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the dog food analysis site accurate for us in the UK? I've been researching dog food using the site and just noticed that some ingredient lists are different on the site from the food I've bought, does anybody know would the UK versions be different and is there a specific site for uk dog food reviews?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I don't think there is a UK equivalent, I also noticed the ingredients are not identical. I compared the free bag of Science plan our vet gave us, it was very different. Still rubbish, but different rubbish! (Fed it to the hamsters, it is a great food for hamsters)
TBH I don't think there is a UK dry food that would get 4 or 5 stars, all the best kibbles have to be imported.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
It does seem we get all the rubbish stuff. The best I've heard that we can get in shops is James wellbeloved and even that isn't great. Fortunately amazon has free shipping and great service. Now if only Mylo enjoyed eating his ZP.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think there is a UK equivalent, I also noticed the ingredients are not identical. I compared the free bag of Science plan our vet gave us, it was very different. Still rubbish, but different rubbish! (Fed it to the hamsters, it is a great food for hamsters)
TBH I don't think there is a UK dry food that would get 4 or 5 stars, all the best kibbles have to be imported.
Oh good I'm not the only one that thought that! It's a shame cos it's a good site, just not accurate for us :(
Lol I wud never have thought to give un wanted dog food to hamsters!
By the looks of it I think the US versions of the foods we can get here are better quality ie RC and Hills. Shame :(

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does seem we get all the rubbish stuff. The best I've heard that we can get in shops is James wellbeloved and even that isn't great. Fortunately amazon has free shipping and great service. Now if only Mylo enjoyed eating his ZP.
Pet stores here make it hard to get good dog food, it's annoying. I would love to be able to just to walk into my pet shop to buy my girls food, but no, looks like I've hav to order online too.

Is James Wellbeloved grain free do u know?

Will Mylo not eat ZP?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
We do have great pre-made frozen raw here, I have been nothing but impressed with Natural Instinct. Great customer service, quality product which dogs enjoy and do really well on. It is made from human grade ingredients.
There are some good canned types of products, but I haven't actually tried them. Things like Lily's Kitchen. Anyone on here use these?
If I wanted to feed a kibble (which I doubt I ever will) I would use imported American brands.
I am happy with raw, and ZP for emergencies/camping.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We do have great pre-made frozen raw here, I have been nothing but impressed with Natural Instinct. Great customer service, quality product which dogs enjoy and do really well on. It is made from human grade ingredients.
There are some good canned types of products, but I haven't actually tried them. Things like Lily's Kitchen. Anyone on here use these?
If I wanted to feed a kibble (which I doubt I ever will) I would use imported American brands.
I am happy with raw, and ZP for emergencies/camping.
Do you buy that frozen raw over the Internet or can u buy it in any pet shops?

Ye ZP sounds really good. From looking at the ingredients of our RC and Hills I can't understand why they cost so much more than most other kibble, so overpriced for what you are getting.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Sugarchi, JWB do several grain-free varieties, they have replaced the grain with potatoes though. So less likely to cause allergies than grain (although I think there is only rice in the regular kibble) but still high carb and you are paying for 'filler'.
Hamsters eat a grain diet supplemented with insects etc in the wild, so they do very well with grain based dog food added to their mix to up the protein level. I used dog kibble for a lot of the exotic pets I have kept over the years, just wouldn't feed it to a dog lol.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Do you buy that frozen raw over the Internet or can u buy it in any pet shops?

Ye ZP sounds really good. From looking at the ingredients of our RC and Hills I can't understand why they cost so much more than most other kibble, so overpriced for what you are getting.
They cost so much because the manufacturer makes a huge profit! It is such a rip-off. People assume that because they are paying a premium price they are getting a premium product, which just isn't true.
Natural Instinct can be ordered online, but I don't know if they supply NI. They are stocked in some pet shops, again not sure about your area.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I saw a review site which reviews UK foods and others on Michele's fb a while back, it seems pretty comprehensive - Which Dog Food.co.uk

Mind I often wonder who are these people who run these sites? and how they are qualified to review foods?

My local pet shop has started selling Applaws and it is said to be a UK manufactured equivalent of Orijen - from memory it has something like 75% meat content - I got a sample bag and found the kibbles a bit big - worth looking at though :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Totally agree that there is hardly anything good in store in the UK :(.
Saw Applaws dryfood in Pets at home last time and took a bag. Seemed quite good. Don't think its as good as Orijen, but still a lot better than many of the other dry foods. Not available in all stores though I figured out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts