Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Nacho has been on Hills Prescirption diet ZD (canned and dry) for about 6 months for his IBS, it's worked brilliantly only trouble is this past few days he won't eat it.
He keeps trying to steal Bella's food and anything else he can get his paws on to but I think he's bored with the same food day in day out???

I asked my vet today and she suggested Royal Canin Vet diet Hypoallergenic but said it only comes in dry food, I did a search online and found it does come in cans but here in Australia it seems near on impossible to find :(

Can anyone recomend and good hypoallergenic canned food for my little guy please as I am too scared to just try anything in case his IBS flares up again (when I got him from the shelter he was 18 months old and so skinny as I don't think he;d ever been treated for his IBS and food would go straight through the poor little mite) .
Thank you so much wonderful Chi peoples :)

P.S I should add , it needs to be something that;s available in Australia :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks hunny, it's just that the canned version are near on impossible to find here, the dry food is readily available just not the cans.

I am heading down the shop later, there are two other vets locally that apparently sell Royal Canin so I will have a look and see if they sell the cans and if not maybe they can order it in for me?

Anyway thanks again so much xox

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
What about Ziwipeak? I have a little male that cannot eat any kind of processed kibble but he does fine on the Ziwipeak dry or raw meals...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.
I will have a look at the Buffalo grain free and I did look at Ziwipeak already and had emailed them but they couldn't even tell me if there food was ok for dogs with IBS :-(
I went to the place that supposedly sells RC in cans , she didn't have any in the store but said she would ring the supplier which she did while I was there, RC do not sell the Hypoallergenic in cans in AUstralia!!!!!!!!!!!!UGH!!!! What is going on, I can't get any canned hypoallergenic stuff (apart for Hills ZD) in Australia!!!!! NOT HAPPY!!!! So what do I feed Nacho now?????? Just hoping he'll eat the ZD again but till then, what do I do????? I emailed Wellness (they don't supply to AUs either) but they said they hope to be soon.......................

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I know corn is bad but is Ground Whole Grain Corn just as bad...probably a dumb question......ZD contains corn starch , just had a look at ID it has Ground Whole Grain Corn but is meant be for IBS etc, so I was wondering if I should try that as I can actually buy this in Australia? ANy thoughts?
Thanks so much!!!
P.S is cooked sweet potato ok?

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Honestly I would try the ZP lamb. I am not a fan of science diet products as the put a lot of junk in there.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
As far as diet for IBS the only thing I can find repeatedly mentioned is that a diet which is high in fiber can help, I dont see any restrictions. I would also suggest giving Ziwipeak a try, I know others on the forum feed it to their guys with tummy issues with success. My Leo has not been diagnosed with any specific digestive problem but has only had nice solid stools on Stella and Chewys, even the best kibbles give him the runs. If she has a sensitive stomach I think a food that is less processed, like ZP, will be easier for her to digest. I have no idea what the fiber content of ZP is as compared to the SD Id food youre giving, but I would imagine the only thing special about the Hills is a little extra fiber...if ZP doesnt have as much you could supplement with something thats high in fiber and just add it to her Ziwi.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
GG, having got my 3 wee pups in the last couple of weeks, and being in Australia, I've researched day and night into the wee small hours.

I've been shocked, disgusted & dismayed at the brands that have been foisted upon us that we pay a squillion dollars for when, in actual fact, they're pure unadulterated carp. Well over $100 a bag for rubbish, possibly even containing euthanised animals from vet surgeries - man, I'm livid!!! The brands our Vets & Pet Shops swear by don't even get into the USA 4 star category (it goes up to 6 stars btw).

I honestly think you should try the way this fellow Aussie newbie is going - 50-80% Raw (either mince or portions purchased yourself of beef, lamb, chicken, pork) or the BARF little sachet system ($19.50 for 2kgs or 12 sachets from memory) and the rest ZiwiPeak - I paid $42 for 1kg but that store is a ripoff, you can get it for just a touch under $40 elsewhere. Sounds expensive but it's not really and, to my mind, I can't put a price on these little guys' health. Oh and lots of cut up lamb neck bones with meat on them and of course chicken wings/necks etc but watch them due to too much causing constipation. Wings @ $8 bag for organic ones is great value imo.

The other one you could consider is "Coprice" if price is a main factor - It's made in Aussie, pretty much a plain jane in the marketplace, and was always the best of the best when I was showing Royal Show level horses, they were always in supreme condition with gleaming coats.

Also, most importantly DO NOT BUY ANY IMPORTED FOOD THAT HAS BEEN IRRADIATED ... this process releases deadly toxins and radicals - one brand the Americans use & love was withdrawn from Australia because after irradiation it was killing cats & they took off the dog variety as well just in case people's cats got into their housemate's food bowls. Deadly, deadly stuff, that irradiation, at high levels. I wouldn't trust it at any darn level personally. Also avoid using microwaves for their food.

Darn it!!! After typing all that i just saw it was CANNED food you want ... can I ask why?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Also, most importantly DO NOT BUY ANY IMPORTED FOOD THAT HAS BEEN IRRADIATED ... this process releases deadly toxins and radicals - one brand the Americans use & love was withdrawn from Australia because after irradiation it was killing cats & they took off the dog variety as well just in case people's cats got into their housemate's food bowls. Deadly, deadly stuff, that irradiation, at high levels. I wouldn't trust it at any darn level personally. Also avoid using microwaves for their food.
Can I ask which brand this was?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can't import the food anyway, lots have been recalled here like Nutro (not the Australian counterpart) Oriijen has been recalled as well for the reason.

I tried cooking my own food for him but it didn't work Hills Prescription ZD worked/works beautifully but he just doesn't want to it anymore :(

GG, having got my 3 wee pups in the last couple of weeks, and being in Australia, I've researched day and night into the wee small hours.

I've been shocked, disgusted & dismayed at the brands that have been foisted upon us that we pay a squillion dollars for when, in actual fact, they're pure unadulterated carp. Well over $100 a bag for rubbish, possibly even containing euthanised animals from vet surgeries - man, I'm livid!!! The brands our Vets & Pet Shops swear by don't even get into the USA 4 star category (it goes up to 6 stars btw).

I honestly think you should try the way this fellow Aussie newbie is going - 50-80% Raw (either mince or portions purchased yourself of beef, lamb, chicken, pork) or the BARF little sachet system ($19.50 for 2kgs or 12 sachets from memory) and the rest ZiwiPeak - I paid $42 for 1kg but that store is a ripoff, you can get it for just a touch under $40 elsewhere. Sounds expensive but it's not really and, to my mind, I can't put a price on these little guys' health. Oh and lots of cut up lamb neck bones with meat on them and of course chicken wings/necks etc but watch them due to too much causing constipation. Wings @ $8 bag for organic ones is great value imo.

The other one you could consider is "Coprice" if price is a main factor - It's made in Aussie, pretty much a plain jane in the marketplace, and was always the best of the best when I was showing Royal Show level horses, they were always in supreme condition with gleaming coats.

Darn it!!! After typing all that i just saw it was CANNED food you want ... can I ask why?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts