265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Again Fello Chi. Lovers ~*~*SMILES~*~*~
I have a dilema...
I have had my lil' guy on Innova for two years and upon finding
out yesterday by a helpful fello Chi. Lover member that Natra
got bought out by Procter/Gamble so,,,, I'm forced now into
switching his food from Innova to ????

I am trying to stay with a 5 star dog food.
Now,,, "my delima" ...
I have done MANY hours of reading/studying dog foods/
dog food Ingredients/labels/and etc... over past 2-3 years.
I can read a hundred diff. dog foods but I always trust another
persons experience over any rateings. I know dogs react differently
on dog foods. Some do well on certains brands while others do
poorly on it. Trial/and error it seems. :-(
If there is one thing I've learned over much time doing homework
on dog food is "There is NO perfect dog food..." :-(
But I try to feed as Natural/Organic/Probiotics in it/just good ingredients throughout.

I tend to go with the one used most by Chi. owners, then do my home
work on it, and see how I feel about using it.
I believe my pick of dog food would be Orijen 6*, Artimise 6 * but
the Protein is wayyy too high for my lil' couch potato... LOL..

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!
*Dog food brand suggestions... at least 5* rateing.
*How long you've fed it to your Chi. ...
*How does your Chi. do on it ...

Throw some at me that your Chi. does/has done well on. :)

HELP if you can please...
Soooo Thanking you...
Blessings. :)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Leila has been on several diff. foods. Did well on all of them.
She has been on orijen puppy, but i decided to switch to a lower protein, just to be on the safe side. She is in process of switching to totw prarie. She likes it, the pieces are bigger than orijen but she doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Normal stools and everything. I'm glad she is so easily switched. :D Lucky me!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If you are wanting to stay with a kibble then I'd try ZiwiPeak. It's expensive, yes, but it's truly a standout in the food category. It comes in a bag just like kibble but is tiny little jerky pieces.

When looking at protein levels, consider the source. Some companies use grains and veggies to beef up their protein levels. If the protein is coming from meat - it is processed differently than plant material.

Personally, I'd want to steer you towards minimally processed foods like ZiwiPeak or a pre-made such as Stella and Chewy's.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I already replied in your other thread but ZiwiPeak & Honest Kitchen are the best prepackaged foods IMO. (I've never fed frozen raw premades like Stella & Chewys so I can't give my opinion on those but I trust Tracy in they are more of the best foods out there)

You will not find these foods on Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble because they are not "kibble". But if you look on Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings they cover all foods instead of just kibbles. So you may want to check it out. :) These foods are superior to kibble simply because they are very minimally processed where as kibble goes though TONS of processing no matter how many "stars" it is given. It's clearly more gentle on their systems as well. This comes from my experience & that I've read of others who have tried & switched their dogs to it "cold turkey" w/o any GI issues at all.

Again, good luck in your search for a new food. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If I didn't feed Prey Model Raw I would probably feed Ziwi Peak or Honest Kitchen (as others have said they aren't a kibble), but the best IMO. As far as kibble goes the best is Orijen or Acana (IMO)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
We have tried a number of kibbles with our lot as well, Reese has some sensitivities/allergies to some grains and probably chicken. I had them on Blue Buffalo, Reese was getting the grain free fish one, and Miley (didnt have Leo yet) was on the regular puppy formula. She is never a picky eater, she really will devour anything, but Reese has never been one to get excited about his dinner. Some of the premium kibble samples we got him he refused to eat at all. Anyway, they both were doing just fine on the Blue, good stools, shiny coats, etc. So I was reasonably happy with it, then Tracy/ Brodysmom notified the forum of a recall they had on a few of their formulas. None of the specific kibbles I was feeding were on the recall list, but that was enough for me. I just could not keep offering them something that I could no longer count on to be safe and healthy for them. Our dogs trust us and eat what we feed them, so I feel like its my job to make sure its the best food. So, I think literally the next day I went and got them each Orijen. Reese is on the 6 fish, Miley is on the puppy formula, although all their foods are fine for puppies or adults. Miley likes it, but again she likes anything. But Reese LOVES LOVES LOVES it, he never used to get excited about his dinner, now he bounces around waiting for me to set it down and he always finishes his dinner and licks his bowl. Before he would often leave some kibbles and not eat right away. This is the first kibble he has seemed to have a real appetite for. I would highly recommend it, but we have only been on it for a month or so. If you are concerned about the protein you could switch try Acana, same company as Orijen, just less protein and less pricey. I grabbed some samples of Honest Kitchen the other day to try, Miley really really liked it, Reese tried it but seemed confused, probably just thrown by the texture, but I decided not to add it to his diet yet just because he loves the Orijen so why switch. A lot of people on here do feed THK with great results though.
Anyway, good luck, there are so many options it is totally overwhelming, but Orijen gets a thumbs up from me, and a big thumbs up from Reese! O, meant to add that another thing I liked about Orijen was they produce the food themselves, from regional ingredients. The Blue recall was blamed on the plant where the food was manufactured, they claimed it was contaminated by a vitamin supplement that had been made there before their food. Aside from that being a flimsy excuse, it worried me that they werent in control of their on food production, so I love that about the Orijen.
If the high protein is a worry, several people have suggested feeding it mixed/softened with a little warm water, to make it easier for these little guys to digest.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I feed The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw mixed with raw to my dogs, however THK can be feed alone since it does come in complete formulas. I like it because it kind of bridges the gap between kibble and raw. Gives you the benefits of raw with the convenience of kibble and doesn't have high protein levels. It's minimally processed food that is easy on the digestive system, comes from an excellent company and is not only made with human grade ingredients but is safe for human consumption. I've tried many different kibbles and dehydrated/freeze dried foods but THK is my favorite prepared food. Yes, Ziwipeak is lightyears better than THK but ZP is way out of my price range so it's just not an option for us. If you can afford it I'd highly recommend Ziwipeak as the next best thing after raw diets.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I feed a combination of raw (prey model), about 50% of their diet now. So meat, bones and organs (we're still working this bit out but doing ok!). The other 50% of the time they get either a premade raw frozen food (Nature's Variety, or grinds from a local farm that are made specifically for dogs), The Honest Kitchen Keen or Embark (I *always* add in raw ground meat from the grocery store but you don't need to), or Ziwipeak, which is their least favorite.

If you want a kibbled food that is great, and privately owned, try checking out Fromm Family Four Star Nutritionals (it's actually a 5* food, they just are playing off of dining ratings in the name). Http://www.frommfamily.com. It's an excellent kibble and you can give your dog more than 1 flavor of the 4 star nutritionals formulas on a day at different meals to keep it from being boring :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Was going to say -- Acana is another great food. Go with the grainfree line :) It's a privately owned and manufactured company. Orijen is another top quality kibble. We switched off of Innova as well when the buyout was announced.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HI Everyone...
THANKING YOU... For the Great dog food suggestions.

I've been at this for half the day today and still not finished
checking all, but thus far I'm leaning toward-
*ACANA GRASSLANDS
*WELLNESS or WELLNESS CORE

What a job!!! :nshocked1: I'll be reading dog food ingredients in my sleep
tonight... LOL...:foxes251::nmad2:

Again, THANK YOU...............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts