Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always fed Bosco and Lola Iams which they really enjoyed but the more I looked into it, the more I decided to switch to another food. There is nothing wrong with Iams but for the same price I could get a bit better quality. So therefore I switched to Nutro Max and they love it! BUT with the Nutro Max comes a lot more poo's and they are stinky and soft. YUK. I finally found a place around here (thanks to whoever posted the link :)) that sells Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and I would like to change to that but I am concerned with all the switching that I may make my dogs picky (they eat anything right now). I sure don't want to do that!

So what do you think? Will switching foods like this turn my dogs into picky eaters?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Have you tried the Nutro Max Ultra?

I am in the process of switching from the Nutro Max Ultra to Innova. One reason is because Sandy is a year old now, so I wanted to start switching from puppy food to adult food. Koke will be a year in about 3 1/2 months.
The main reason I am switching though is because my vet (and other places I have researched around the net) told me Innova has the highest Omega fatty acids content. Koke needs it for her skin problem.
Innova seems to make Sandy's poos smaller, but Koke's don't seem any different than before.

Maybe you could mix all three togather, so they kinda won't know what's going on?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I am feeding them Nutro Max Ultra. I should have specified. :)

Also, if I feed them Iams & Nutro Max Ultra mixed in together they pick out the Iams and throw it on the floor!! Little brats. :) But if I give them a bowl of only Iams, they eat it.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
food

Also, if I feed them Iams & Nutro Max Ultra mixed in together they pick out the Iams and throw it on the floor!! Little brats. :)

that is just too funny :lol: :lol:

kisses nat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of Royal Canin Chihuahua Food?
It's supposedly specifically made for Chihuahua's (they also have Yorkshire Terrier food and other small dog food too)

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's supposedly specifically made for Chihuahua's (they also have Yorkshire Terrier food and other small dog food too)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
switching foods shouldn't be a problem especially if you switch to something they like, it won't make for a picky pooch... but make sure you switch gradually to avoid upset stomachs... although some dogs can eat whatever and not be bothered.....

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Boogaloo, I switched Cody and Callie from Science Diet to Royal Canin. I wanted to do it gradually but they did like yours and threw the Science Diet on the floor. :shock: This was about a month ago and I have not had any problems with them being picky.

Lulu, I feed mine the Royal Canin for Chihuahuas and I'm very happy with it. I wanted to feed them the Yorkie food because I can get it in bigger bags and it is cheaper. The food for Chihuahuas looked to better ingredient wise though so that is what I get.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Boogaloo said:
BUT with the Nutro Max comes a lot more poo's and they are stinky and soft.
One thing I was thinking and have heard about is iams has a higher cereal content than Nutro ( more meat in Nutro) so you don't need to feed so much nuto as you do Iams , so if they have had the same amount of nutro as they used to Iams that could make loads more poo !!! ( hope that makes sense ?? not to good with words me :roll: )

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
lulu said:
We don't have Royal Canin Chi food in the uk yet :( I really hope we get it soon as I will feed it to mine for sure . I love the quality of the whole royal canin range of foods & I feed my guy on royal canin mini junior ....

Nice to know that royal canin chi food has been made , looking forward to it arriving in the UK :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That did make sense Fizzys Mum and thanks for trying to help. :) I feed them twice a day (leave the food out for about 20 minutes each time) and they just eat till they are full. I noticed that they seemed to like the Nutro Max better but they didn't eat as much - and now I know why! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have Chloe on the Royal Canin (Chihuahua) she loves it!! I just hate the price. :) My two guys will eat anything...not a picky bone in their body! :lol:

sandra

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am having a real hard time with Rosie........ she refuses to eat anything but chicken breast!!! I have tried dry dog food, can dog food, you name it, I've bought it..........
I need to get her on dry dog food because it has all the nutrients she needs, chicken is good but she needs more than just protein in her diet.....

Any ideas??? :?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
SC said:
I feed mine the Royal Canin for Chihuahuas and I'm very happy with it. I wanted to feed them the Yorkie food because I can get it in bigger bags and it is cheaper. The food for Chihuahuas looked to better ingredient wise though so that is what I get.
:D I've been hearing about it a lot and I was wondering how good is it really? Are their coats shinier..do they poo less..can you tell me if you have seen changes...I have Stinky on iams and he likes it but I been hearing good things about RC so I would like to try.. :wink: He might turn ME into a picky food picker! :D :D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My Choe is very picky also! I have bought every food on the market to get her to eat. :roll: Right now she is eating Royal Canin (chihuahua). I always mix a small amount of "Pedigree chopped chicken" pouch food in with it. I mix it up with a small amount of water. I only put it down for about 15minutes, then take it up. (put in fridge). Another thing you might try is warming it in the microwave...they usually will lap it up :D I know how frustrating it is when they refuse to eat. But, if they get hungry enough they will! :wink: Mine also just love the "Natural Balance Meat Rolls"! You might even try those... :D

sandra

1 - 20 of 39 Posts