Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All (first post here!)

I have an 8 year old Chihuahua (8 lbs, bigger than most) and he has almost no teeth (only 4 molars on the bottom). He's a rescue, so his life before was rough on him and now he's toothless... ANYWAY...I'd like to switch his food and would appreciate some suggestions!:)

I currently have him eating a combination of wet can food, and dry kibble (soaked) from Science Diet, as this is what was recommended by the Vet.

After research, and too much preparation and mixing, I'd like to take him off SD and switch to a more natural, less-filler brand. I am considering "Natural Choice" (NUTRO® NATURAL CHOICE® Dog Food : NUTRO® Natural Dog Foods - The Nutro Company) but would like some help on deciding how much and in what form to feed him?? I'd ideally like to have him on 100% dry kibble and I'll soak it, so he can eat it without his teeth.

I am also open to other brands to purchase, that are best for chihuahuas. I am also very overwhelmed with figuring out how much to feed him and if I should stick to a weight management brand (which is the type of Science Diet he is on now) he is at his ideal weight now but worry that without a weight management one, he'll be hungry.

Well clearly, I am worrying too much and typing too much. So hopefully someone has some ideas!

Thanks!:p

·
Registered
622 Posts
I personally would avoid any "weight management" dog foods as they are just filled with undigestible fillers.

My favorite kibble so far (and I've tried a lot) is Fromm. You might feed less than a weight management formula but after he gets used to it he really shouldn't be hungry as it is much more nutrient rich than Science Diet. When my lab was on a diet I feed unsalted canned green beans and egg whites to make up for the reduction in regular food. It really helped him stay full and lose the weight he needed.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx is currently eating Fromm Grain Free. He loves it and it is a 5 star food.
I am also not a big fan of weight management food. I would rather feed the correct amount of a high quality food and give lots of exercise to manage weight.
Going from a food like SD to Fromm you will notice that you don't have to feed as much because it is high in protein and has less fillers. I would use http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/ to get a starting idea for amount to feed and then adjust by the chi. If they are gaining weight cut back a little if they are losing weight give a little more. Jaxx gets 2.5 tbsp twice a day which doesn't seem like much but he maintains his weight on it. If he seems a little hungry during the day I give him fresh carrots or green beans that I keep in the freezer for him.
You could soak the kibble to make it easier to eat and it makes sure they get plenty of water.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
946 Posts
If you wanted to try raw feeding you can just give ground meats & organs with either ground chicken necks or ground/crushed egg shells (either for the calcium needs). Its really quite easy, excellent for weight management and cost effective! :)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Soaking dry kibble with water won't affect the nutritional value in a negative way. The main issue with feeding a purely dry diet is the lack of moisture, so adding water is a good thing. All kibble should be fed moistened IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts