Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading about Chi food, and now I'm starting to think I have my dog on the wrong food, but when I tried to switch he would pick out the new and only eat the old. I'm currently feeding him Iams small breed, because this is what the previous owner had him eating, and I tried to switch him to pro plan for small breeds, but he wouldn't eat it. Am I giving him the right food?

Thanks Ashley

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
He probably doesn't like the new food compared to the old. I probably had 50 lbs of dog food in my cabinet by the time I found one Cooper liked more than the others.

My cat picks out all the little round green pieces from her food. She lays them in a little pile on the table and I have to come by every morning and throw them away. Otherwise, she loves her food, the spoiled brat. :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If your pup is doing well, is healthy, has a shiny coat, feels good and has energy, then there is no need to force a food change.

However, if you truly are convinced that you want your pup on a different food, then persistence will pay off. You may just have to switch 'cold turkey' in order to stop him from picking out and eating only the old food. Or maybe try making a little gravy with a mixture of the old and new foods by adding a little water and stirring it up. I'm sure that there are others on the forum that will share what's worked for them when they switched foods with you. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Being that the one you are currently feeding your pup is Iams, I'm a little suprised since it is a high quality feed. Usually the biggest problems in switching feed comes when trying to go from a low quality feed (usually the cheap stuff in the grocery store for example) to a high quality feed (like Pro plan or Iams). Thats because the cheap stuff is made of all of the unhealthy but really yummy stuff. They like the taste even though it isn't the best for them (sounds like us huh...I know I don't always choose the salad over the hamburger and fries). In your case though it has to just be a preference thing. I would keep trying, maybe reduce the mixture (50% old food in the dish one day...down to 30% the next) to sort of move him off of the old stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for responding to my little problem. I also have another question... Rocco comes to work with me everyday, and he's really comfortable there. At home he will not eat his food. What can I do to get him to eat?
Thanks again,
Ashley

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Try the suggestion of a little chicken broth mixed in with his food. That's a winner. If that doesn't get him, we use grated parmesan cheese in my house. LOL You may try mixing in trace amounts of people food that he enjoys to get him to the bowl.

You might also try using his kibble as treats to get him "used" to it. I can't remember if he's a new dog to your house, but if he is, he may be getting adjusted and doesn't have time for food right now. Also... is anyone feeding him at your work??? Someone may be slipping him a sandwich that you don't know about so it's possible he's not hungry when he gets home from work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the quick response. I have tried putting a scrambled egg in his food at home, and he just eats around his kibble. He is a new dog we've had him for a little over two weeks now. My husband and I don't think the family we got him from was very nice to him. (if you know what I mean) He runs away from my husband a lot, but he's starting to get used to him. Rocco sleeps in bed with us, usually next to me, but last night he was sleeping next to my husband all night. Any way back onto the food topic. I bring him to work every day, but it's just me and my husband here, I own an Embroidery business. I specialize in dog products which can be embroidered. In fact I just made Rocco a bag I use for him and his toys, and put his name and some paw prints all over it. Its really great. So no one here at work gives him food. My husband and I also take him to this dog park every night if it's not raining. (we live in South Florida) so he can get used to other people and other dogs, he isn't very socialable but he's getting better, you can tell he wants to play with the other dogs, (all small dogs) but he doesn't want to leave mom either. So we just keep taking him there every night.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
You may try building up his confidence with a kong, if you haven't tried that already. You could put his food in there, with a treat mixed in and kill two birds with one stone. Kongs are great, teaching dogs problem solving and patience, as well as confidence - and it feeds them at the same time.

There are a few posts on the board about kongs and what people put in them but I think the most popular (next to their kibble) is cheese and peanut butter. I give my Cooper one and, even if there are trace amounts of PB in there, he won't stop until he gets every last bit. Of course, if you asked him, he'd tell you he's starving to death and that's why he has to lick it completely clean. :roll:

Good luck - and glad to know no one's feeding him excessively at work LOL By the way, are you going to enroll him in puppy/obedience classes? That would be great for him, even if he is trained, because you'd learn how to assert dominance and help him find his "place" in the house. Some of his "shyness" could be attributed to him just not knowing where he stands in your pack. :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
try blending or crushing the kibbles mixing it to the chicken,egg,etc.... and use a treat ball.also a kong will work well and keep him busy at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts