Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Okay...are boys dogs WAYYYYYY more prone to marking everything they see with pee? I have a 2 year old chihuahua - who I got 6 months ago from a rescue place...not housebroken. And she was using a litterbox within a couple of weeks.

I am dogsitting for a friend of mine who told me her dog uses a litterbox. The first thing he (3 yr old chihuahua) did when he got here was pee on my shoes, poo in the living room, pee in the hall, pee on my dog's stuff - poo again! And he won't stop marking EVERYTHING and crying for his mama. This is going to be a VERY LONG weekend. My dog is watching it all go down....with a look of...HEY, RELAX, PAL!

I am also considering adopting a 3 yr old chihuahua (male) from a shelter who the owners gave up because he was peeing on everything. Now I am thinking twice! Are boys worse than girls in this instance or what?

Now I realize how lucky I am with my little girl...she rarely makes a mistake!
Any tips on how I can survive this weekend??!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
He is in a strange place that smells like a strange dog with someone he doesn't know well. He is nervous and upset and it is a fairly normal reaction to the stress. If he were going to be your dog and you were going to keep him he would calm down fairly quickly. A shelter dog would have to be neutered anyway and that would also help solve the problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a rescued male chih mix. I got him in November and he was still unneutered at (Vet thinks) age 3. I also have an 11yr old neutered male Schnauzer. Sunny has not peed in the house that Ive found and has only pooed twice. So not all unfixed males make a mess. Since Sun was fixed in december he hasnt had an accident once. He does not use a litterbox, he will ask to go out.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just got Sturgis he is a leg lifter. Daytona never marks territory in the house. This is also a territorial thing not an accident. Males do mark their territory. Daytona was the first male i ever had in my life now that i have Sturgis I expected the same out of him. Wrong! i keep my eye on him constantly because he is new here and when i catch him I yell NO! grab him and bring him to the door and tell him you do pee pees outside and put him out.. It seems to be working .. We are going to our home in Fla next week So I am assuming I will have to watch him closely there because it is new so he will want to mark his territory there also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts