Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting upset by daisy jumping off the sofa when someone knocks on the door or if there is a noise outside and it's not good for her already crap knee so my uncle who is a carpenter is going to make us some steps for the sofa!!

Could someone let me know how wide steps they have on theirs obviously the height will be exact to my sofa

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
My stairs are 14" wide, and each step is 7" deep. There are only 3 steps. However, if I was to have them custom made (you lucky duck) I would make the whole thing wider, as when 2 try to use them at the same time, one will usually push the other off. lol.
Lo had a bad habit of jumping off couches and things before we got the stairs, and it took some time for her to remember that she was to use those instead of jumping. But now she doesn't jump off, and seems to like taking the "lazy way". :) Finn doesn't know any different, I swear that boy doesn't think he is even capable of jumping. lol. (I'm very happy for that!)

Be sure to share pictures when they're all done! :) Are you having them covered in carpet or do you have a plan yet?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I have steps for my sofa, but I'm back at work now. I'll let you know the measurements on mine when I get home, if no one gets to it first. :)\

Actually, just checked the site where I got mine, they measurements are:

18" L X 14" W X 12" H
Step: 4" Height

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Ha, ok, someone got there first! lol.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sarah you're lucky you have your own carpenter. lol
My question is even if someone has the stairs will the dog take the time to use them or keep jumping. I guess it would just take training.
Lo took some time getting used to it. I say she wasn't stubborn about it, she just "kept forgetting" lol. Now she uses stairs exclusively.

I was just thinking that! :lol: Mine are the basic 3 steps from Petco. :)
You said it! ;) They have held up SURPRISINGLY well!!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
My question is even if someone has the stairs will the dog take the time to use them or keep jumping. I guess it would just take training.
It's been hard with Pip for me. He simply will not use them, he's a crazy jumping monkey. Drives me crazy with worry. :( Roo uses them though. :)

You said it! ;) They have held up SURPRISINGLY well!!
Woohoo, mine have too! :hello1:

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hmm.. not sure, Jan. I think the stairs would be ok for LP, they generally aren't very deep really and Roo does have minor LP as well. For me, a ramp would be tough as my house is pretty small and I think it would take up too much room, the stairs are fairly compact.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I would think a ramp might be easier on the knees. With stairs they have to do a little hop for each step, at least mine do. :)
Sarah there is a seller on ebay that makes custom stairs and ramps. They are really nice. Maybe you could get a few ideas from his. I cant get a link since I'm on my phone, but just search custom pet stairs. It should pop up. I think the seller name is topdogsteps.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think steps are less scary and as lon as they aren't too steep it shouldn't cause a problem I'm trying to fix one lol

I'm super lucky with my uncle he made my tv unit that sure you have all seen :) he's so talented

Thanks for the measurements Paula and darcie :)

They will be stained dark wood like the rest of the furniture not sure what I'll cover it with

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Was going to post this same thing!

Very lucky to have a carpenter! That is awesome! My first thought was if she hears a noise and she flies off the couch is will she even bother with the steps. I would want to get steps too but I know if this was my Shayley she wouldn't use them lol When she hears a noise outside (Mostly our neighbors dog who comes to visit) SHE FLIES off that couch and jumps on our chair to look out the window....if she's not already sitting on top of the chair lol. Good luck probably with some training it could be!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daisy is really obedient with training so I think for something yummy shell learn

Oh regarding the ramp also my sofa is quite high sp the ramp would have to be big so it wasn't too steep which would take up too much room gah

·
Registered
602 Posts
We have steps, and guess who only uses them on the way up? Fiddle STILL leaps when she hears the door or food or somone in the ktchen.

Apparently is just all too exciting!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Sara I'll be sure to post the ones my uncle makes am debating putting wheels on them so I can move them to store???

Also dunno if this is tacky or not yet I'll make up my mind once they are made but thought I could putbsome faux fur leopard print down the middle of them like a carpet to match my cushions??? I've got like mink and chocolate cushions with two leopard print (or tiger tiger a I call it and I know it's not tiger lol) and a tiger blanket so I thought it'd be nice not sure if it's too much?? In the winter I have a chocolate rug down

Oh how exciting!!!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Its turning into 'pimp my pet stairs!!'.LOL:D
I have a set that get used sometimes but if the doorbell goes or a cat needs chasing then they all fly off the sofa like they are expecting to sprout wings!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Thanks Sara I'll be sure to post the ones my uncle makes am debating putting wheels on them so I can move them to store???

Also dunno if this is tacky or not yet I'll make up my mind once they are made but thought I could putbsome faux fur leopard print down the middle of them like a carpet to match my cushions??? I've got like mink and chocolate cushions with two leopard print (or tiger tiger a I call it and I know it's not tiger lol) and a tiger blanket so I thought it'd be nice not sure if it's too much?? In the winter I have a chocolate rug down

Oh how exciting!!!
I think that sounds awesome, Sarah! Wish I had someone handy around here to make me things, haha! You're lucky!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts