Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if my white chi needs sunblock if we are outside for long periods. Somebody told me that all white dogs need sunblock. If that is true how does that work? :?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I haven't heard of it but nothing would surprise me. I believe dogs can get sunburned if they're exposed to the sun long enough. Lily is mostly all white (except for her head and a few random c ow spots on her back :lol: ). I don't keep her in the sun too long but only because I'm afraid she'd overheat. To me, that seems even more likely than getting a sunburn. :wave:

·
Registered
40 Posts
i'm sure that the dog could get sunburn, and even tho i haven't seen such a product in any store yet, i'm sure they make such a thing, or will eventually. mr. beefy likes to lay in the grass belly up, and since his belly is almost hairless, i'd not be at all suprised if he got burnt. that being said, i'm trying to imagine putting sunscreen on beefy, and i keep picturing him licking it off imeadiately. he won't even leave me alone when i have sunscreen on. i tend to agree that if the dog has been out in the sun long enough to get a sunburn, they probably are at risk or much worse things, like overheating. good old fashioned shade would probably be better. :?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I was told by the breeder to watch how much sun Tico got because he would burn! and since I've had him, his little pink ears have "tanned" as well as around his face.
The vet said you can put the spray-on kids sunblock on if you would be outside alot, but since we only come-and-go in the sun, I've not done that. But if I was going to have him out in the direct sun for a couple hours I would spray him down for sure.
In the pix you can really see the difference! The first one, the back of his ears just looked the color of his cream hair... the current pix his skin color shows thru the hair.
He used to also have a distinct line across his face, about 1/2 between the bottom of his ears and his eyes, above the line was cream & below tan where his hair is thinner. We've not been out in the sun much lately, so that has gone back to just cream, but it was really odd looking for a couple weeks!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mmm there's a point !!! funny evidence :D

but i never leave my dogs in the sun for long ....so like Rachael noted , i would rather fear for overheating then sun burn

kisses nat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts