Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had success in teaching a dog who is already established in its potty habits to use a doggy door?

I'm going to Hawaii for a week in June (yay!) and my gorgeous friend and her husband have offered to look after my pups. They have a Pom x Chi so are 100% across the needs of small fragile dogs and her house and yard are Chi proof so Im about as comfortable as I could ever be with leaving my dogs with someone.

Their dog Kita uses a doggie door (well its a cat flap actually because she's only 5lb) and I'm hoping that my guys will learn just for my friend's convenience but I'm wondering if it's too much to ask for in just a week? I can take them over a few times before we leave to practice. I'm a bit worried that Chloe will just refuse to even try it because of her fearfulness.

Has anyone had success in teaching a dog to use a doggie door in such a short period?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Sorry Sarah I'm without a yard so never tried. But I mean why not try right?
Definitely go over there as much as you can and try with the help of treats
and encouragement to teach your pups. If they don't catch on, will your
friend be able to take them out as often as they need?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine use pee pads inside so its not an issue for them not to go out but my friend is going to be about 7 1/2 months pregnant when we go and I didn't want her bending down to pick up pee pads or having to get the mop out if they peed a bit too close to the edge which they do occasionally

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Besides holding the door up initially & using treats to entice them through the hole, I'd also think about smearing a little of whatever they love onto the door so that when she licks it off, the door will flap a bit so they won't be terrified of it - peanut paste, bit of ZP juice etc?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Actually since the others use it yours should follow right along once they see that there is no harm using it. But if not treats will help.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I agree if they see her dogs use it your dogs should follow them I taught my dogs to use a doggie door in 15 minutes once they learn that they can come and go as they please most dogs just love the extra freedom it gives them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts