Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I currently have a problem, my bro has went and bought a rough collie who is 8 wks old - the collie is a wee fat boy, absolutely gorgeous but fat! lol! So he's really greedy and he keeps eating my chihuahua coco's food - while i am away at work my mum ends up puttin coco's food away into my bedroom - but it's not fair because she doesnt really eat there as she's use to eating in the other room!! But now Broxy (the rough collie) has completely taken over - even when the foods in my bedroom he sniffs it out and tries to eat it. It's making it difficult for me to get coco to eat, as she usually eats bits here and there and takes her time - but she cant do that with him he steals it all!

HELP PLZ GIVE ME SOME IDEAS BEFORE MY BABY STARVES TO DEATH - i had to hand feed her some warm human food lastnight, and i know thats not good for her but what else to do?!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I would put your dogs food up on a shelf or table that you can put your dog on but the other dog can't get to it... Or maybe close the bedroom door so that the other dog can't get in...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I was going to say feed your chi in a room where you can close the door or better yet, lock the puppy up in a bedroom while your chi eats.

Try to get your chi to eat at scheduled times of the day...the free-feeding just wont work anymore if you have a dog that is stealing the others food.

She might be use to picking at her food but you need to have her eat once in the morning and once at night. Offer her half of her daily food in the morning, leave it on the ground for 20 minutes or so, if she eats leave her but if she doesnt pick it up. Try mixing in some wet food in it for now to enourage her to eat it all. If she does eat it all give her dinner in the evening...same thing.

Now if she doesnt eat you have to take her food away and she has to wait. If someone is home have them feed her around noon...do the same thing....lock puppy away and offer your chi food. She wont allow herself to starve so dont worry if she doesnt eat right away. Again if she is picking at it put some wet food or some cottage cheese or greenbeans in the food.

By doing this you can train her to eat all of her food in one sitting, that way you know she is eating the food she needs and you dont have to worry about the puppy stealing her food.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem when I got a greyhound. Well, actually it was a bigger problem because he could reach countertops. I started putting cereal and bread on top of the fridge and he was even able to reach up there. It was a mess. :shock: He ate everything in sight, including my other dogs food. I ended up getting my chi's a playpen and i put them in there in the morning for breakfast and again at night. It took them a couple days to get used to not having food available all day but it works.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think the best idea is to try and either feed your Chis at certain times like Angel5218 said or just try buying a playpen like mark1010 said. I have a playpen for Peanut that I bought at BabiesRus and it is huge for his size, you could do that and leave Coco in the playpen for an hour or two with the food and each day you could leave the food for less time until she realizes that she needs to eat when you give her food. OR, you could "TRY" and teach Broxy to only eat HIS food.. BUT that is VERY VERY unlikely!

Good Luck!
Yael

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh decisions decisions - i have tried the whole putting coco's food up high so neither of them can get to it. So in the morning i lock Coco in the bedroom with me whilst im getting ready and she has ate sometimes then the others she hasnt really bothered with the food - then when i come home from work i put the food down and let her have a chance to eat - she might take a bite and that is all! I try again later, she doesnt bother - its like she's on a blummin diet! I dont think she likes feeling as if she has to hide away with her food so is trying to prove a point! She's just too clever for her own good! She eats no problem every other time! I think the other problem is if she can here Broxy outside she wants to know what he's doing and wants to go play etc... So it makes her not bother with eating! Hopefully that stage will go by!

If i put coco in a pen - even if it was the height of a bed she would find a way of jumping out it - i wouldnt do that to her anyway she's my lil princess she likes her comfy cussions etc... So i dont want her taking the huff with me!

I know there is no chance that Broxy will learn to take his own food, he goes nuts when he see's or smells food, i've never seen a dog as greedy as him in my life! I guess i will just have to keep trying to feed coco at regular but short intervals of 20mins at a time?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Im not sure what pen you are thinking about but the one that I have for Peanut is about 3 1/2 ft by 3 ft, so there is really no way that jumping would occur. Well thats because Peanut is also very small.

Good Luck and I hope you find a way for Coco to eat!

Yael

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have to agree that free feeding is not going to work anymore with another puppy in the house, especially one that loves to eat!

Feeding two or three scheduled meals per day is going to be your best bet. If Coco doesn't eat, take food up and put away. She will start eating at regular times when she realizes she can no longer nibble all day. As suggested, I would add some canned food to her dry food in the beginning to encourage her to eat.

There is no way you can teach the puppy to leave Coco's food alone - that just isn't going to happen. If you tried, you would just end up frustrating both yourself and the puppy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tell me about it the new puppy is a complete nightmare! I keep coco's food up high and offer her some regularly - she doesnt seem interested at all! She just wont eat at all! Maybe she's went off her food because she's on heat?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Sturgis is a jumper and
i dont mean jump he leaps he will jump up as high as the door knob to try and open if he wants to come in and i dont hear him.lol my others dont and he cant get out of the xpen

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No i wldnt put my baby in a pen - she wldnt like it at all! And i dont like the idea of it either! Maybe ok for some but doesnt suit us!

I have Coco eating a lot better tho, sometimes Broxy does manage to sneak into the room if i leave the door open for a slight second and he scoffs the lot - absolute grubber!

Coco warns him off now anyway, but to avoid any fights i lock her in the room for a while so she can eat or is he is out the room i bring her food in - seems to be ok now! Thanks for all the advice guys, really, really helpful :wave:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Glad to hear that Coco is eating better. No matter that I know my dogs won't starve themselves I worry anyway :roll: lol
When Mully had her babes I mixed canned food in with her wet to encourage her to eat. And had to hold the dish for her while she nursed and ate! She's getting out more now so she'll eat on her own, but don't they make us worry!?

Love stacy

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah they really do make us worry so much! I dont know about you, but for me coco is my baby and well i love her like a mother would love her child! Hope i dont sound like a complete nutter! :oops:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have a question why does it say idiot in my previous post I checked it in preview and it says knob. lol there is no idiot in my posting! but i see it here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts