Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I wanted to know if anyone has heard of Doggles. they are (as im sure you have guessed) goggles for dogs. They work as sunglasses. I bought a pair for diego, but he hates them. I bought them tonight, and I have them on him now, but I feel bad because he wont move. he lays down all depressed. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks that I should take them back. He didnt mind them in the store, thats why I bought them. thanks for any info. I will try to attach a picture of them.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Yeh I say take them back if he hates them they'll just lay around.
I saw some adorable little glasses with rhinestones on them for dogs in New Mexcio but I knew that none of mine would wear them :lol: If you were to ride a mottorcycle or somthing with your dog that's 1 thing but just to wear I think any dog would be mad ;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I read that you can get prescription glasses for a dog, useful after cataract surgery. I think Doggles made them. But just for looks? I can't see that they'd tolerate them.

They might be useful on a windy day at the beach.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
if you are realy gonna use them (ie a dog who likes to hang his head out the window when in the car, or dogs who are sensitive to bright lights) they are extreemly usefull, and id start of with short sessions and lots of praise...

if you got them just because there cute...then id still give them a couple of days again, short sessions and lots of praise/treats, if after a week hes still hating them, then you might want to return them.

rosie has a pair for when she goes on dads bike...vixie and dodger will be getting some come summer for sun protection rosie doesnt mind them at all but it took about 10 sessions starting with 5 mins and working up before she was "comfortable"

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
if you are going to use them for a reason (like sun or wind protection) then i think u should persevere and train him to wear them - like i needed Twig to be able to wear jumpers and coats as it gets cold and wet here so i started when she was very young just 2 mins a day put them on and take them off and then start to gradually build up time over several weeks - he soon should get used to them lots of praise and encouragement too :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes i say take them back them sell them here in our pets at home, i dnt think they are needed i mean what dog wants his eyes covered over wiv sum goggles, i personally think they are silly and going OTT with the whole doggy acsessories, i mean a dog is a dog at the end of the day not a human, they especially dont need goggles lol...
edited to add:: unless your vet for some reason says ur dog needs doggles then dont buy them lol...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
actually, dogs eyes are just as sensitive to sun as humans are...when you have issues seeing because the suns too bright, so does your dog. so while they have "acessoriezed" them they are actually very good, again especially for lighter coloured dogs who tend to be more sun sensitive.
they also DO protect the eyes from debris (ie a twig to the eye while running in dense brush or a rock kicked up from the road while your dog has its head out of the window.

personally i think they are a MUST for any dog who rides with its head out the window or who accompany their people on their motorbikes.
there also great for dilutes with light eyes who can be very sensitive to suns light.
somwhere like the UK where its not all that sunny most of the time (im from manchester origionally) then i agree, there kind of pointless for sun protection and growing up i never saw dogs with their heads out of the window (probably because it was always raining)
however since moving to the states and realizing how bright the sun realy is...and seeing the results of a small stone kicked up and hitting the eye of a dog who just had his nose out the window...

there not 100% pointless or silly...
when used simply "beacue they look cute" then it crosses the line into too much. but they realy do have good uses!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have a pair for Stewie. And I admit, I only bought them because they were cute & made me laugh! :D He'll wear them...not always happily, but he will tolerate them for a while. The only time that we really have him wear them is Halloween...I have a bumble bee costume for him & the doggles are yellow...so its super cute! I agree with foxywench though, you could give him a few days & see if he likes them any better. Unless you have a reason other than him being adorable in them! No matter how cute he is at first, once he looks sad & pitiful in them, you'll probably just take them off, put them away somewhere & forget about them! (More or less what I have done! lol)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Yea, I thought they were adorable when I saw them on. But that is not COMPLETELY why I bought them. I bought them for the sun in the summer, I spend ALOT of time at the river here and I heard that there eyes can start to get bothered just as much as ours. Also, I just recently got a kitten and he has done nothing but torture Diego when I am not home,I thought that if he didnt mind wearing them, he could where them when I am not home (he doesnt stay home for long periods of time) but just so his eyes dont get scratched. His neck is nothing but claw marks at the moment. Thanks for all your reply's though I gave up, but I think I will try them for a bit longer, and see how it goes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts