Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you have insurance on your chis and although I never felt a need to carry insurance on a dog, I am now considering it since chi's are so prone to allergies, luxating patella's, etc. I'd like to know more about it from anyone in the US... names of companies, prices, coverage, how it works, etc.
I'm sure I am not the only one who might have similar questions, so this topic might be good to sticky.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Embrace is awesome. I don't remember offhand how much we pay each year, but I think it's around $350-$400. I am awful because I don't completely remember her coverage, but it's probably around $10,000 annually, $200 deductible, and 80% reimbursement. You can create a custom quote easily on their website which will give you prices.

They won't cover exisiting conditions such as luxating patellas. They will cover LP if it's due to your dog becoming injured and gets a luxating patella. Your dog has to get an exam before they cover her and your vet has to fill in information for them to look over. However, their information of what they will and won't cover is very easy to find out on their website as you are getting your quote.

If you choose them I suggest sending them every health record your dog has been to the vet for even if it's for a routine exam or a vaccine. This way, you won't have to do it when you're filing a claim. They want everything from even before your dog was insured and even if it wasn't related to what you're filing a claim for. If they have everything, then their turn around time to reimburse you is very very fast.

Whenever you contact them you will be talking to a real person or emailing with a real person at Embrace. They will do what they can to take care of you. Even the CEO will not hesitate to talk to you.

There is an affiliate link to Embrace near the bottom of the page on my grooming website.

For The Luv Of Dog

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I did and no longer do. I chose PetPlan and felt they were outstanding in terms of coverage, ease of use and such. I got the recommendation here from some who have had it for some time and some who have really benefited nicely with it. If I were to go back to insurance, I would use them again.

Hope, my most fragile one health-wise has been to so many doctors, after hours places, etc. and had so many inconclusive issues/diagnoses. I dreaded all the documentation that a claim would require and also paying yet getting rejection of coverage. I want all of my girls to receive the same treatment.

So, I started a savings account. I add a nice amount each month (I have enough now for one to have LP surgery if needed) in lieu of my premiums. I will have no documentation but I will be responsible for their bills in full, on my own.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i was thinking about insurance also, so will be interested to see what responses you get here. Minnie and Tootsie will be 4 in March. i never had insurance on them, and have had no major vet bills.
i'm so back and forth on if i should take it out. i do have enough money in savings, so if they should need anything unexpected i have it covered.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The only thing I had to submit by fax (or whatever way is convenient) were copies of my receipts and a short one page claim that the vets filled in that just say a few words on why the pet was being seen. I also told the vets to fax all records and notes related to the incident to Embrace. It was fast and easy. I had a reimbursement check right away.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I have petplan and I love it. I have never had a "big" claim (like in the thousands) but they have bee great so far. I chose them because they do not have a benefits schedule the same way that others (like VPI) have, so if it is a procedure they cover there is no nit picking as far as the cost (I go to a good but expensive vet). I also like Petplan because they cover all congenital conditions as long as they have not been diagnosed before the plan starts (or in the first 30 days when you have to get your dog seen by a vet). They were the only people I found who would cover a luxating patella in a chi that was not caused by trauma, but I have not heard about embrace.

As far as claims it is very easy, the vet does most of the work. I guess if you had an uncooperative vet it would be difficult.

The way I see it I have plenty of money to treat unexpected things, but I buy the insurance to protect my savings. If we had something that happened chronically (like $5,000 surgery every year) it would eventually get rid of my savings, the insurance allows me to feel like I could cover my dog long term without having to go into dept.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Ninja broke her leg (read my post)
A little boy stood on her leg the total was £3000
If I was not insured I would be very much in debt.
I now have both the girls insured for £80 per month

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Ninja broke her leg (read my post)
A little boy stood on her leg the total was £3000
If I was not insured I would be very much in debt.
I now have both the girls insured for £80 per month
omg--how horrible !! Is Ninja okay now ??

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico has the wellness plan from Banfield. It was random, the vet we had worked there and it just worked out. It is convienient,,,the plan is okay for a healthy dog.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Rico has the wellness plan from Banfield. It was random, the vet we had worked there and it just worked out. It is convienient,,,the plan is okay for a healthy dog.
I have heard bad things about banfield, but maybe it depends what vet you have. Or maybe there are better ones where you live. I used to be from Boston and sometimes I think everything was just a little higher quality beck there.

Do they offer regular insurance or just the wellness plan?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts