Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last three days or so I've been feeding 2 ounces of pork to the dogs in the morning and 2 ounces in the evening and both have been losing weight.

I guess the pork just doesn't have enough fat or whatever in it to allow them to keep the weight on.

Pepe last week was 4.4 pounds. Today he was 4.04 pounds so he lost almost four ounces in a week. That's a lot of weight for a dog that already doesn't weigh much. So I'm putting them back on chicken.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Increase the amount. It's ok to switch it around between pork and chicken. You can add beef if they are tolerating the other proteins without a problem. Some dogs need more than 4 ounces a day. Brody is 5 pounds and typically eats 5-6 ounces a day, depending on the day. If he looks a little ribby - I increase the meat. If he starts looking chunky, I decrease. It's good to have lots of different protein sources as they all have different nutritional profiles. So you want lots of variety as you get more into raw feeding. I would say not to give up on pork - just increase the portion size and see if the weight doesn't come back up.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've found with raw that the amount really varies per dog regardless of their weight. Kahlua and Ellie both "should" be about 5lbs... they're both at least 1.5lbs over weight. Doesn't sound like much but considering they weigh so little anyway it is a huge difference. They only get 4 ounces a day. o_O
Then there's little Zoey who is 4.5lbs, thin and is eating the same amount, same meal plan, and maintaining her thin weight.

I think I would rather they have a little higher metabolism;and have to feed a little more... then I wouldn't feel like I was feeding them such a small amount, LOL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gang for the good information!

They both seem more content when I bumped up their food from 2 oz. to 3oz. per feeding. I'm going to have to find the amount that is not too much and not too little but keep it varied like you guys say.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Perfect Tony! Let us know how it's going. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
What kind of pork are you serving (ground, ribs etc...)? That is one meat I have not tried raw because I was told years ago that raw pork can have parasites so best to avoid. Now I wonder....:confused:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Melanie, pork in the USA has been parasite free for decades. That's a myth that still seems to be around though. If you buy the pork in the grocery store, you're good to go. It's already been frozen before you bought it and the US pork supply is 100% safe. Your mileage may vary if buying pork from a farmer down the street however who has questionable husbandry practices, or using wild boar. But if you buy it for human consumption - you are good to go! We use pork as a staple and have for years. It's a great RED meat! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another thing to consider is that a dog's digestive system is different from ours. Bacteria and parasites that harm humans are not necessarily ones that will harm dogs. I know I have seen dogs eat some pretty nasty things and nothing happens. If people tried it, severe gastric upset would strike.

The US pork supply is very safe to feed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts