Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope I am posting in the correct place. It says Diet and Nutrition.

I haven't started a post in a very long time, so here goes.

I have two dogs that have been overweight. :) Bu has been gaining a little more and a little more over along period of time. Just creeped up ya know? Ernie was critically ill starting last summer. Between having to force feed him far more food than he'd ever eaten, (he's always been a nibbler) he also has been taking steroids. Sooooo... his weight ballooned. If anyone knows anyone that's been on steroids, you know what I mean. I'm overweight too, bad eating habits, but the steroid thing is different. I also tended to feed my babies the same I way I fed myself. I don't think that's a real uncommon thing. No regular meals and tons and tons of treats. I free fed also.

At any rate, I decided I needed to knuckle down and start feeding my babies right. Very first thing I did was cut out all store bought biscuits/treats. Now they only get small nibbles of green beans, carrots, an occasional apple bit and melon in season.

I also got really serious about measuring their food very exactly. It has been so rewarding to watch the ounces melt off them. They have each lost a pound! Ernie only has 1 more lb. to lose and Bu probably 2 or 3. The thing that is probably the most fun about it is how active the two of them have become again! They are like different dogs.

I can't think of a cool way to end this post so... This is the end.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Doggie diets are easier than people diets. Stay strong in the face of big sad chi chi baby eyes. Best of luck, I'm sure your dogs will be fine :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Lin - I am SO PROUD of you!!! It is a hard thing to diet, whether human or animal, without feeling deprived and guilty. I am so glad you are sticking to your guns! I know what you mean about the steroids. Brody was on them for his eye problem a year ago and I was surprised at how fast the weight piled on him.

I'm so happy that you are seeing positive changes with Ernie and Bu. One pound is a LOT of weight for a small dog! That is fantastic.

This post made my day!! :) I am giving you a standing ovation!!!!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doggie diets are easier than people diets. Stay strong in the face of big sad chi chi baby eyes. Best of luck, I'm sure your dogs will be fine :)
Oh heck yeah they are! I wish I had someone to manage my meals. :) It's tough.

Lin - I am SO PROUD of you!!! It is a hard thing to diet, whether human or animal, without feeling deprived and guilty. I am so glad you are sticking to your guns! I know what you mean about the steroids. Brody was on them for his eye problem a year ago and I was surprised at how fast the weight piled on him.

I'm so happy that you are seeing positive changes with Ernie and Bu. One pound is a LOT of weight for a small dog! That is fantastic.

This post made my day!! :) I am giving you a standing ovation!!!!
Tracy! Thank you so much kiddo. You have been really encouraging with this you know. :D (I still haven't written off the RAW diet either.) One pound IS a lot for these little dogs. I told hubby I'd be glad if I lost a pound, what the heck... !

I was nervous about posting Tracy... I haven't for so long. Leave it to you to make it OK! :daisy:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Congratuations on your babies losing the weight, that is just wonderful.

We have one chi boy that was always a very healthy weight until he was neutered at age 3 years.. Then he just ballooned up within 3 months.. There is no way I would have thought it would happen to Kona.. as all my other males were neutered between 7 and 9 months and never had weight gain issues, so I didn't know their would be so much difference in having the procedure done once all the male horomones were in full play. Getting the weight off has proved to be extremely difficult as we have 9 chi babies, some of which definitely do not need to be dieted as they are between 4 and 5 pounds each. I so admire your success with Ernie and Bu, and hope I will have more progress with Kona eventually.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That's so great to hear Lin! And welcome back to the posting side!

It makes such a huge difference, Gretel was overweight for so long and she was lifeless compared to how she is now, you'll start seeing the pep get back in their steps!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratuations on your babies losing the weight, that is just wonderful.

We have one chi boy that was always a very healthy weight until he was neutered at age 3 years.. Then he just ballooned up within 3 months.. There is no way I would have thought it would happen to Kona.. as all my other males were neutered between 7 and 9 months and never had weight gain issues, so I didn't know their would be so much difference in having the procedure done once all the male horomones were in full play. Getting the weight off has proved to be extremely difficult as we have 9 chi babies, some of which definitely do not need to be dieted as they are between 4 and 5 pounds each. I so admire your success with Ernie and Bu, and hope I will have more progress with Kona eventually.
Thank you Deb... and hang in there. The discipline is more on my side than theirs. :-D It is very difficult NOT to give a dog a little nibble when he's looking at you like he thinks he'll keel over if ya don't. They can be a bit dramatic at time. Ernie is very much.

That's so great to hear Lin! And welcome back to the posting side!

It makes such a huge difference, Gretel was overweight for so long and she was lifeless compared to how she is now, you'll start seeing the pep get back in their steps!
Thank you for the warm welcome back. :-D I was so excited when we weighed them last eve I thought I would burst!

OMG you are right about them seeming lifeless... Ernie not so much but poor Bu! And even with just the 1 lb. off he's running around like a maniac and aggravating Ernie... That would be his favorite past time. hehe They are really good buds.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Lin, I am so glad to see you posting again. That is great news about the pups weight loss. What a good chi mommy you are, keep us posted on their progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts