Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right place and just wanted to share because I think it's cool.
You can buy a fox as a companion here that has bred for many generations as a part of an experiment in domestication. I encourage reading up on some of the details of the experiment. Fascinating stuff, though the "failures" were sent off to fur farms to be killed for fur which is sad:(.

Sibfox – Our foxes

I wonder if they are compatible with chihuahuas?:D.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I have seen a TV show on this experiment. It is fascinating...its like they fast forwarded the domestication of dogs. While I don't really care for how the foxes were kept, I think there are definite benefits to what they learned/are learning. Those little fox pups are adorable!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now they just need to start selectively breeding the smallest foxes so we can have the vulpine equivalent of a chihuahua. ;)..
If I am correct in guessing part of how chihuahuas were originally created.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Nope, chis are not related to foxes ;) They have 99% of the same DNA as wolves or something like that, and wolves/dogs can't be crossbred with foxes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I do know that, Maybe my post wasn't clear enough.
If chihuahuas are basically mini wolves, then mini foxes could also be created?.
Then again along this same line, I'm not sure I would want it done if more rejects go to be killed for fur.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Kitty I used to really think they came from Fennec's! LOL actually about a year ago on here I posted asking what people thought...since then, I actually learned more about the DNA, and it seems impossible to me that they could be related to the Fennec...sad :( But I considering the amount of DNA they share with wolves and the inability to be bred to something like a Fennec makes me think they just resemble each other.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Well then even better, I have a Serbian friend and I went to his party on New Years with B
and he had not seen him before and his first words were..and I quote " oh my god, so precious how did they squeeze the wolf into this"

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would love to have a Fennec fox, but have read up on them and they are very hard to keep and are illegal a lot of places. I would love to have a skunk, too, but they are illegal to keep in Tennessee. Can't have a turtle either. Awww!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts