Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That's ridiculous! :) The premise is that ANATOMICALLY the grey wolf and the domestic dog are 99% similar in their DNA. We know there is a tremendous amount of variety in the dog breeds, however their GI tracts are all the same. That is the philosophy behind the prey model diet.

Feeding a dog only what it could catch in the wild is taking it too far, in my opinion. If that were true, I would be feeding Brody grasshoppers and an occasional mouse. I don't think he could catch anything else. LOL. And the mouse would be a stretch!

Prey model is based on a grey wolf diet and they eat mostly red meat.... deer, elk, the occasional scavenged sheep or goat. Rabbits and birds don't make up much of their diet and a rabbit isn't going to feed a pack. I try and feed about 80% red meat and fill in the rest with cornish hens or chicken or quail, which I use for bone content mainly. The nutrient density in red meat is higher than that of white meat. So yes, I do feed chicken, etc. but it's not the bulk of his diet.

oh, and just to take it one step farther.... to mimic a true grey wolf diet - you'd need to gorge and fast. Wolves bring down their prey and then gorge on it. Then they may not eat for 2-3 days or longer. We don't feed our dogs that way, although I do know some raw feeders who do fast their dogs occasionally. I think sometimes people just go a little bit too far 'out there'. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You know...I often think of that. I suppose a small wild dog could come across a carcass of a large animal & eat it but more often than not our little canines probably would be eating bugs, rodents, birds, eggs, etc. instead of large mammals like cows, pigs, deer, mutton, bisson, etc. I don't feed beef very often simply because it doesn't do well in Mari's tummy so I don't feel too bad because they get a large variety otherwise. We do a lot of different poultry, rabbit, pork & fish. And the occasional beef heart here & there for everyone but Maribelle. :)

Makes sense to me personally....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Ha Ha that's too funny, Zoey would starve as it's beneath her to actually 'catch' her own food lmao. I have heard that wolves gorge themselves and will eat 20# in one sitting then not eat for 10days-2 weeks.....so I can't imagine any of our little chihuahuas eating that much lol. Some Vets come up with the weirdest ideas.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I havent heard that! I think that would make more sense if we were talking about an animal that could actually exist on its own in the wild, I have a feeling a chi would be the prey far more often than the predator.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Feeding a dog only what it could catch in the wild is taking it too far, in my opinion. If that were true, I would be feeding Brody grasshoppers and an occasional mouse. I don't think he could catch anything else. LOL. And the mouse would be a stretch!
Maybe Im not giving my lot enough credit, but I have an easier time imagining them eating out of someones trash than actually catching anything at all, lol. Theyd be eating more like raccoons, which I somehow feel cant be in their best interest!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Maybe Im not giving my lot enough credit, but I have an easier time imagining them eating out of someones trash than actually catching anything at all, lol. Theyd be eating more like raccoons, which I somehow feel cant be in their best interest!
You're probably right! I can't even imagine Brody being off on his own and trying to catch his own food. I'm afraid he'd be snatched up by a coyote or a hawk in no time at all.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think our domesticated dogs tend to be more scavenger than hunter if they ever had to fend for themselves, but you have to remember that Chis are the size and shape they are because of careful, selective breeding on our parts. Not because of natural selection. If you took a colony of chihuahuas and just let them breed pell-mell, I suspect that in 7-10 generations, you'd end up with that 30-40lb 'pariah dog' that you tend to see in any area where feral dogs are living and reproducing. When dogs mate without the oversight of humans, they don't maintain traits we've selected for. So, to say chihuahuas should only eat items they could hunt in the wild, I think is a catch-22. Chihuahuas wouldn't exist in the wild; they'd develop into a more generic sort of dog if left to reproduce without humans selectively breeding for such a small size. That's the type of animal whose diet we're mimicking with prey model raw, because though the size of our chihuahuas is quite different, as others have said, the GI tract is still set up the same way. The insides of a chi don't know they belong to a 5 lb dog. They're still wired to thrive on the foods that the wild wolves they descended from ate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts