Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted Gonzo and Reggie to sleep on the floor last night together but Gonzo can jump onto my bed. And it's high. I have a high queen made even higher by placing it on a waterbed platform. And he has no problem climbing up. I won't put Reggie up on the bed because with his bad leg, I am afraid he will fall off or try to jump down and hurt it even more. And I am a restless sleeper and I am so afraid to roll over and hurt him. But now Reggie is sad that Gonzo sleeps up there and he doesn't. *sigh* I so wish his leg would get better. If I try to pick him up, sometimes he will cry in pain, so I haven't been picking him up to put in my lap and that has depressed him, too. Should I still try to pick him up and cuddle him even though the act of picking him up hurts? Once he is in my lap, he isn't in pain, just the getting there and back down hurts. How do I let him know I still love him? He is so different from Gonzo, very quiet and unsure of himself. And he doesn't know what to do with toys or treats. I can feed him a little chicken and today he ate a bit of bacon, but chewies, dog bones or dog biscuits, he turns his nose.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If he sleeps in a little dog bed, you might just want to scoop him up, bed and all, and place the whole thing on your lap. That won't jostle his leg as much as just trying to pick his body up. He wants to be close to you, that's completely understandable, so he may be just as happy to be on your lap in a bed.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how I took him to the vets, bed and all. He usually lies on a rug, and when I tried to lift him with the rug, he cried out. So the next time he gets in a bed, I will try that. Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, it worked like a charm. He is sitting on my lap in a bed right now. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yay Tink!! That was good advice.

I hope that Reggie's leg can heal. Maybe he could be on something for pain so he doesn't yelp or limp as much?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brody's mom, he is on a pain med/antiinflamitory liquid that the vet gave us. He is walking on it more and more, however it still crosses under him. Hard to explain. He doesn't stand square on it, the foot hits next to or crosses over past the foot of his good leg. I thought the hip was dislocated but the xray says no.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have big dogs and a small dog and cats.

Sometimes I'll get down on the floor and let the big ones get into my lap. They won't hurt themselves and I don't mind. They get a little cranky because Diego can get into my lap when he wants.

Maybe you could move his bed very near yours and reach down to touch him while you're sleeping. I did that with Gabriel when he was a puppy. I wore a t-shirt one day and folded it very carefully for his mattress that night. Made a world of difference. It might help Reggie.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JillR, I thought of that, but as I am getting over a broken ankle/leg, it is very hard for me to gt on/off the floor. And I don't think he would be able to crawl into my lap with only one good back leg. I do have an old shirt on the floor and a bed. He usually does good down on the floor, my Peke sleeps there, too. Just last night, he was whining and then tried to hide between my bedside table and the wall and behind my headboard when I wouldn't let him up on the bed.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Why does he have a bad leg what did he do to it, Sorry if you've mentioned it already in a previous psot, I'm a bit behind with news..

Cheers

Deme

Ahh and great you can now have him on the bed with you

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure what happened, I found him standing in the street in front of my house a week ago. I brought him in, took him to the vet and am trying to find his family.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
JillR, I thought of that, but as I am getting over a broken ankle/leg, it is very hard for me to gt on/off the floor. And I don't think he would be able to crawl into my lap with only one good back leg. I do have an old shirt on the floor and a bed. He usually does good down on the floor, my Peke sleeps there, too. Just last night, he was whining and then tried to hide between my bedside table and the wall and behind my headboard when I wouldn't let him up on the bed.
Obviously YOU are a safe place, so this behavior sounds like he's looking for a "safe" place, a den of some sort, when he can't be with you. Do you have a crate? A crate with soft bedding and the door always left open provides him with a mini "house" that's enclosed, and small enough that he can feel protected and safe while apart from you. Each of mine have small wire crates that are just the right size to fit the smallest rectangular dog beds, which I've lined with their soft blankies. I drape other blankets over the top to create a little haven. They LOVE their crates! I originally set one up for Jazz after I rescued her so I could crate train her. Tango used to have one set up too, but after I moved and before I rescued Jazz, I just didn't re-establish his because he didn't need to be crated any more (for housetraining purposes.) But after I set Jazz's up, he kept jumping into it and I'd have to haul him out every time before I could put Jazz in there lol! So I finally got him one of his own, and it's where they go when they feel threatened, if they can't get to me.. (e.g. stranger in the house till they get introduced) or want alone time (e.g. when they have a chewie that they don't want the other one to steal) or when they're trying to hide from me (e.g. bath time lol!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts