Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I don't know if you guys remember but my hubby's friend has a pregnant chihuahua. They usually breed pit bulls, so they're experienced. They want to give us a chihuahua, which when they 1st said it I was all for another 1. Once I saw how fragile they really were I got cold feet and started looking into other breeds. Well, birth time is getting close, now of course I have to wait regardless for them to get old enough to leave mamma, but if I want 1 I get 1st pick after Paul's friends, they want to keep 1 of the babies. I am so unsure of what I want. I absolutely love everything about Mikey except his attitude which we're working on and I have noticed some changes for the better. Everyone has now learned to watch where they step so I am not too worried about this 1 getting stepped on. I guess my worry is I don't want another mean doggie and Mikey is very moody. I am having such a dog debate here lol. I'll let you all know what I decide if I ever can. :(

·
Registered
549 Posts
Maybe the positive side of another chi, would be that Mikey would have a playmate. Just maybe he and the playmate would be playing together, so that they would not be under foot so much. But then the opposite affect could be that you have two under foot instead of just one.
The only time that mine are under foot is when I am in the kitchen and they are scavenging...Poor things, I never get around to feeding them...ha,ha,ha...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just remember that every dog is different. Personality's(sp) are different, attitudes are different. Did you get your first as a puppy? Our dog (harley) doesn't like other people. So, when I get another puppy (chi) (I'm still working on hubby) I'm going to send the 2 dogs (Harley and puppy) to doggy daycare for once a week or something. Just so they can socialize and get used to people and dogs.

Let us know what you decide :) Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I remember before I got my José, Chiquita was queen of the house and when José came home, she wasn't real happy at first about this little black rat invading on her turf, but now she is perfectly happy that she has a playmate and a sleeping buddy. Just depends, you never know how they will react until you bring a new puppy into the scene, and even then, you have to watch them closely. I keep my two in separate kennels until José is potty trained, and then I will probably kennel them together in a larger crate.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I love having 2 chis! I was apprehensive about getting another because my older chi, Annabelle has quite the attitude! :roll: The new puppy Cody, which I think is about the same age as Mikey has a wonderful disposition. They aren't friends yet but I do think Annabelle secretly likes Cody. I would think it would be easier to add a puppy while Mikey is still young. Just try to pick out one of the more mellow ones. :wink:

·
Registered
450 Posts
At first, Chiquita acted that way too, just secretly liking José, and now she even grooms him, and snuggles with him for a nice nap. Can't wait till he matures and gets bigger so I can breed the two. Hoping for some blues, his daddy was a beautiful blue chihuahua. Either way, just want to get a nice litter with both of their temperaments. Such nice dogs. Would never consider any other breed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It looks like you have gotten great advice so far. The only thing I could add would be that since you are friends with this person you will have the chance to be around these pups a lot. You can watch and see as the grow what they are like, granted, no one can tell how mikey and the new chi would get along until they are together, and no matter what it is going to take time for them to find out which of the two will be alpha. I might suggest to get a girl, that way you don't have two males fighting for alpha, but then again like I stated before, you just can't tell.

I wish you the best of luck, it might help to have a playmate around. At least I hope it works out well for Lady and Petey.

MD

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You've gotten great advice so far. I echo what Quikdog said. You've been given a lot of great advice with Mikey and his disposition and how to correct it. If you do get a 2nd, you can use the "desensatizing therapy" from the day you get the new puppy.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You all seem to enjoy having 2 little chi's. When I got Mikey I originally wanted a girl and I wanted a long hair. I was excited and got the 1st 1 I found which was Mikey. I think that's 1 of the reasons I want another 1 so much. I'm fine really about the next 1 having short hair also but I will not settle for another male. I know it sounds silly but I want a girl doggie that I can put little shirts on her and be able to buy pink stuff. I have 2 boy kids and a boy dog. my hubby and I really wanted to try for a little girl(human) but I had to have a hysterectomy so that's not an option now so I want a girl doggie that I can spoil. Also, I want a different color than Mikey.
The dad of this litter is tiny, he is stocky w/ an apple head and he is a light tan. The mom is about 6 lbs ,apple head and she is kinda chocolate w/ some tan. I even have color requirements I am looking for. I don't want Mikey's color or tan. So, I figure if there is a girl in this litter other than fawn or tan..then it was meant to be. I am leaving it to fate.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NoahFL said:
You've gotten great advice so far. I echo what Quikdog said. You've been given a lot of great advice with Mikey and his disposition and how to correct it. If you do get a 2nd, you can use the "desensatizing therapy" from the day you get the new puppy.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)
At 1st I was dead set that I was not going to get another chihuahua. I have kept in mind everything you all have tauhgt me. I think that is 1 of the reason I am considering taking on another 1. I feel more prepared now to teach this pup how to properly act. I will definately use "desensatizing therapy" only wish I would have known to do that when I 1st got mikey.
harley's mamma, I forgot to answer you about when I got Mikey. I got him as a puppy.
I will let you all know as soon as she has the pups and what I decide. In the mean time I do feel I am making progress w/ Mikey. So I feel confident that if I were to get another chi I could help it be more tolerant of people. *hope :) *

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
You already know what I'm going to say, get another chi! I'm in your shoes when it comes to them being fragile and then I went and got a chi half Mr. Peepers size :) . Just like everyone else said they all have different attitudes and now you know the techniques to help the attitude issues. I agree with you, if it's meant to be, a female chi will be born with a color you prefer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.