Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the house, neither Iz or Zar play with toys etc so I bought them Kongs as they both like food...well that was a waste of money...Zar did push it around a bit and lick the cheese spread but Iz had no interest in doing that :foxes15: And they are a devil of a thing to wash out !

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Aww that's too bad, but they are looking so cute sniffing their kongs though!
And I love your home decor, so light, fresh and neat, and that rug is beautiful!

What about chew toys/bones? Or stuffies?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about chew toys/bones? Or stuffies?

We have tried all of them...Zar did like the squirrel in the tree toy for a day or two and then was bored with it...

·
Banned
10,706 Posts

We have tried all of them...Zar did like the squirrel in the tree toy for a day or two and then was bored with it...

Well that's ok, from what I remember your girls have plenty of mental stimulation outside. Always exploring, aren't they?

Little basic obedience is also great stimulation.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I have about a dozen of Easter Eggs(the soft plastic kind, not the hard plastic)... I place a small tidbit in each one and toss them on the floor......Chico learned quick that if he opened them he can get a treat...... Kody is alittle slow as he still hasn't figured it out ... he waits till chico opens one and then tries to steal it.... it keeps them occupied for several minutes, depending how quick they are to open them

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Kathleen, I have the same dilemma! Angel loves his kong, but it doesn't take him long to get the food out! Even if it is frozen! And no matter how deep I pack it! He prefers to just sit on hubby's lap!:rolleyes:

I was cruising the Internet and came across Nina Ottoson interactive dog toys. The main problem I have with that type, as well as the kong, is that they involve food! I can always engage him in fetch, but I tire before he does! ;)

I will be watching this thread for some good ideas! Good topic Kathleen!

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
I have about a dozen of Easter Eggs(the soft plastic kind, not the hard plastic)... I place a small tidbit in each one and toss them on the floor......Chico learned quick that if he opened them he can get a treat...... Kody is alittle slow as he still hasn't figured it out ... he waits till chico opens one and then tries to steal it.... it keeps them occupied for several minutes, depending how quick they are to open them
Exactly what I was going to reccomend! BG waits for Sonny to open one but even then she watches non stop and hunts until Sonny gets it open.

Also you can try hiding their favorite treat or toy around the house and letting them find it. :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions...will be trying them especially if we are still here in the winter months .

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Start simple with a simple hide and seek. Even you can hide and let them find you or favorite toy or treat. Did they hear BG sing any reaction there? If so play a dog program on TV and see how they react.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Have you tried freezing liquid in the kong? I dilute meat baby food 50/50 with water, plug the end with peanut butter or a piece of kibble, then freeze it. They stay interested because it slowly melts out and keeps them licking for more even if they get frustrated, but it also lasts a long time. I usually use big kongs for this- since the treat is mostly water they can have a lot of it and the bigger ones last longer.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Have you tried freezing liquid in the kong? I dilute meat baby food 50/50 with water, plug the end with peanut butter or a piece of kibble, then freeze it. They stay interested because it slowly melts out and keeps them licking for more even if they get frustrated, but it also lasts a long time. I usually use big kongs for this- since the treat is mostly water they can have a lot of it and the bigger ones last longer.
That is an awesome idea! Venus loves her Kong, and I am ever so grateful that we now have a dishwasher so I can clean it with no hassle lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts