Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got ill, the things in life that I miss the most are the simple things,
such as the feeling of sunshine on my face, the look of trees, walking through fall leaves, etc.
Since it's very painful for me to walk, hubby is in charge of walking the dogs,
so it's really special for me when I get to go out with them for a bit.
I can't go out often but today was too beautiful to pass up.
So hubby, myself and the furkids all went to the park, and had a great time!
Watching little Chanel run with the wind in her ears, made my day.
I'd like to share some pictures with you all.
And I want to remind you to enjoy every day, go outside, take in the beauty, it is the best cure for the heart and mind.

:flower:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I totally agree. I used to enjoy the (admittedly rare) occasions where I'd go jogging with Teddy or take him to the dog park. Then, once it became really difficult and painful to stay active, I really wished I had done it more often. I can't even remember what it's like to be outside and walk for more than an hour and not feel any pain. It's sad because I really love sunshine and nature but I get to enjoy it so rarely now. The way I try to recapture it is by listening to relaxation songs that have sounds of nature layered in. I usually drift off to sleep with Teddy in my lap thinking about laying out in the shade of a big tree with birds chirping.. :)

Can I ask what condition you have, if you don't mind? I said in my other post that mine is endometriosis. I have a family history of pelvic adhesions, fibroids, large ovarian masses (the size of a grapefruit), and blood-filled ovaries. My grandmother had a full hysterectomy and my mom had both fallopian tubes and one ovary removed. She has a surgery coming up in January to remove the remaining ovary and her uterus. I'm the only one in my family to start developing these issues at such a young age though. I'm 22, and my mom and grandma were both in their 40s when they started having problems.

The pictures are gorgeous, by the way. Chanel is such a cutie.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Very cute pics. And great advice.

So many people take life for granted. It's easy to do, especially if you've never been challenged. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Dogs are great teachers, in this respect !

I watch my dogs. They throw themselves into everything they do; even their sleeping is wholehearted. They aren't waiting for a better tomorrow, or looking back at their glory days. Following their example, I'm trying to stick to the present." -- dog quote by Abigail Thomas, A Three Dog Life

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the compliments guys! You are so sweet. :)

To answer Kaila, I have a severe case of Interstitial Cystitis, diagnosed at 20 years of age, still suffering at 27.
No pain med, narcotic, treatment, or surgery has helped. I am taking it one day at a time, step by step.
I'm sorry to hear that you are also going through so much. I hope your mom's surgery goes smoothly.
I wish you both well, and will keep you in my thoughts.

And Alan, you are so right, unfortunately many people don't know what they have until it's out of reach.
I love the quote you posted, it's so simple yet so brilliant. Thank you for sharing!

And last but not least, Kerri you are already one of my favorite posters, you are always so kind. I love reading your posts & comments.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thank you for the compliments guys! You are so sweet. :)

To answer Kaila, I have a severe case of Interstitial Cystitis, diagnosed at 20 years of age, still suffering at 27.
No pain med, narcotic, treatment, or surgery has helped. I am taking it one day at a time, step by step.
I'm sorry to hear that you are also going through so much. I hope your mom's surgery goes smoothly.
I wish you both well, and will keep you in my thoughts.

Ohh, I actually have IC as well. I suspect it's probably a mild case, though I have nothing to really compare it to. I was prescribed Detrol but I hated the side effects. I've had undiagnosed bladder issues since I was a child so the amount of pain that I feel is normal to me and not crippling. The endometriosis is by far my bigger problem.

I'm so sorry. My case of IC may be mild but I can definitely understand how that sort of pain can interfere with your life. You seem to be making the best of it though and I respect that. <3 I hope that you get to enjoy many more beautiful days outside!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I wish I could take the dogs for walks, too. Since I destroyed my ankle, walking is very hard for me. I used to take my dogs hiking and for walks for hours, now I can't even walk around the block. I miss going to the park and hiking in the mountains. That goodness I have a large backyard for the dogs to run around.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Sorry to hear about your illness. :( I know what it's like to live with chronic pain. I have all kinds of back and neck problems after a wreck 8 years ago. I can't take any of the strong pain Meds. They make me sick. Not to mention I don't like the groggy feeling. I send my thoughts and prayers for your healing and well being. xxxxx

The pics are all very cute! My fave is the last one! You have a beautiful pack! Thanks for sharing!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohh, I actually have IC as well. I suspect it's probably a mild case, though I have nothing to really compare it to. I was prescribed Detrol but I hated the side effects. I've had undiagnosed bladder issues since I was a child so the amount of pain that I feel is normal to me and not crippling. The endometriosis is by far my bigger problem.

I'm so sorry. My case of IC may be mild but I can definitely understand how that sort of pain can interfere with your life. You seem to be making the best of it though and I respect that. <3 I hope that you get to enjoy many more beautiful days outside!
To give you an idea of what severe IC is like...
I have 24/7 never ending STRONG (raping)pelvic and vaginal pain, literally feels like knifes, every step.
I have a constant urgent urination feeling. I urinate every 10-15 minutes, can not hold it longer because the pain gets worse.
There are days I can not walk and need help to get to the bathroom.
There are very few days, maybe 3 times per month where I can actually go outside for 20 minutes or so.
I do not sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time, for a total of about 2-3 hours per night, so my concentration sucks.
I can not eat 95% of foods because they irritate my bladder. I can not drink anything but water, but I am sometimes super naughty and have a bit of tea.
I vomit every morning, doctors have different ideas on why, some say it's from lack of sleep.
I have vaginal bleeding at times too.
There is no cure and no treatment has been successful. I am on the waiting list for a surgery that is the last resort, it is supposed to help relieve some pain.
I find strength in my hubby and my furkids, they are my world. I've accepted the fact that I am getting worse and no longer feel sorry for myself.
My trick is to not think about the future too much, just take it day by day and appreciate what I have.
I had a good education, an amazing job, I did a lot of volunteer work and still had time to have tons of fun and go out.
Now I can no longer do any of that, I felt useless and broken for a long time.
But now am stronger and wiser. I find the little things can bring me as much joy if not more.
You and I have some stuff in common, so if you ever want to chat I'm here, for anything.
I'm not judgmental in any way, and I'm an open book, so if anything we can trade e-mails! Take care & hope you feel better today! Big kiss to Teddy! :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I could take the dogs for walks, too. Since I destroyed my ankle, walking is very hard for me. I used to take my dogs hiking and for walks for hours, now I can't even walk around the block. I miss going to the park and hiking in the mountains. That goodness I have a large backyard for the dogs to run around.
I'm sorry to hear about your ankle, that must be so hard on you.
It's wonderful that you have a yard, so you can enjoy the seasons changing and your furkids run around!
As tough as it is I think everything happens for a reason.
So as difficult as it may be we just need to keep moving forward with our heads held high.
Best wishes to you! :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear about your illness. :( I know what it's like to live with chronic pain. I have all kinds of back and neck problems after a wreck 8 years ago. I can't take any of the strong pain Meds. They make me sick. Not to mention I don't like the groggy feeling. I send my thoughts and prayers for your healing and well being. xxxxx

The pics are all very cute! My fave is the last one! You have a beautiful pack! Thanks for sharing!
Oh that's too bad! Chronic pain is not easy to live with. If we could only get some time off from it, huh?!
I know how you feel about the meds, I'm the same way. Some narcotics I was prescribed literally made me drool, I could not speak.
I am no longer taking any meds, I find they numb everything except where it hurts.
Thank you for your compliments on my doggies, they are so wonderful!
I am head over heels, they make both hubby and I so happy.
Every day is better because of them.
People often ask me if the dogs make life harder for hubby and I since I'm so ill.
But honestly they don't, they make it better. Thanks to them we smile and laugh so much!
Just cuddling one of them takes all my worries away. And hubby can't live without his daily hikes with Rocky & Benji, it's like meditation.
Life without them wouldn't be as beautiful. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw what fabulous pics! Your dogs are so adorable. I'm so sorry about your health problems, but I love your positive attitude and your advice is so true. :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I love her foxy coat! I attribute my own good health (I'm 48--) to a terrible weight problem that started at age 13!!! I started to jog at 13, eventually to run marathons. I stopped the marathons about 15 years ago, but still have been hiking, walking, and jogging, 6 to 7 days each week, for 35 years. I love being outside as much as my critters do. Although my coats are not nearly so attractive.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aw what fabulous pics! Your dogs are so adorable. I'm so sorry about your health problems, but I love your positive attitude and your advice is so true. :)
Thank you so much :)
You have some very cute pups as well! Love your siggy!

I love her foxy coat! I attribute my own good health (I'm 48--) to a terrible weight problem that started at age 13!!! I started to jog at 13, eventually to run marathons. I stopped the marathons about 15 years ago, but still have been hiking, walking, and jogging, 6 to 7 days each week, for 35 years. I love being outside as much as my critters do. Although my coats are not nearly so attractive.
Good for you! That is the way to go! I love the outdoors as well.
I was extremely healthy my whole life until this disease.
I've always had a very active life and promoted healthy eating and exercise.
I got hubby into hiking, also got him to quit smoking and taught him about good nutrition.
He lost 40 pounds and now wakes up at 4 am to first exercise and then take our dogs out for their 2 hour morning hike.
I believe exercise is the key to a happy healthy dog as well, the Basenjis get up to 6 or 7 hours of walks per day.
Even little Chanel gets about 4 hours, and she's just a puppy.
It was very depressing not being able to go outside as I used to. But I learned to deal.
My best friend's mother recently passed from breast cancer, she too was super active and healthy for 50 years until cancer hit.
It goes to show that sometimes even the healthiest people get ill.
It's unfortunate but all there is left to do is make the best out of the situation we are given.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts