Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up this morning to find bloody mucas in the hall, bathroom, living room and kitchen! It was really gross, scary and stinky. I didn't know who had done it. Could have been Mimi or Dozer. After I got everything cleaned up, Dozer goes into the hallway and passes another pile of this bloody mucus goo out his hind quarters!
He was kind of lazier than usual this weekend, and his tummy was making all kind of wierd noises Friday night. Squeeks, sqwuaks and grumbling.
I got him to the vet, and they have checked is fecal (if you can call it fecal) and said no parasites. They have done xrays and blood work and cannot find anything. Nothing lodged in his intestines or anything. Now they say he is throwing up.
What is wrong with my little guy??? The vet said maybe it was food poisoning. Maybe he ate something dead or out of a garbage can outdoors that has made him sick! They are keeping him tonight and putting him on an IV.:confused:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I am sooo sorry! It's awful when they are sick, especially when the vet doesn't know what's wrong! You will be in my thoughts. I hope he is better soon!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It sounds like an irritated stomach. Billy did this when I got some dog food with barley in it. It was scary as heck, but the vet gave him subcutaneus fluids, (iv solution under the skin), recomended not feeding him for 24 hours, then to start him on boiled chicken and rice. Within two days, he was fine as ever. He just needs to give his stomach a rest for right now. Best wishes Dozer will be well soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope it is only an irritated stomach. He is a rescue that we have had for about 1-1/2 months and have totally fallen in love with him. It was hard to leave him at the vets today. They told me to call them around 7 pm tonight to get an update. They are giving him an IV tonight. I hope he can come home tomorrow. Scary when the vet doesn't even know what it could be.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oh no :(
Poor little Dozer
Hope hall goes well and it is nothing serious

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have they done bloodwork? It sounds like what Kali went through last year with anaplasmosis; she developed immune-mediated thrombocytopenia as a result, and it was a couple of months after tick exposure. I'm glad they have him on an IV right away. How awful for you and for him - good luck.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
This is not so uncommon for Chihuahuas; try not to panic. Hopefully it will clear up
with supportive care from your Vet. Please keep us posted on how Dozer is doing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for everyone's support and feedback. The vet called me about 7pm this evening to tell me he was doing okay. She said his white blood cells were elevated and because she found nothing in the xrays, she feels pretty strongly that has to be something he ate. She said maybe there was a rotten carcass around, like a dead bird or something. Said it is more like a garbage or food poisoning. He is staying at the vets overnight and I will call them at 9 in the morning. Mimi misses him and so does everyone else. Funny how they grow on you so quickly!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hope he feels better and that you will get good news this morning. Quigley sends puppy pats!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know what his platelet count was. I called at 9 this morning, but the vet was in surgery. The technician said he had not thrown up or had the bad bowel movements since yesterday at 2 pm. Unfortunately, she didn't have any further information. I will give the vet a little while and call this afternoon.
Hope I can take him home today!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spoke with the vet at about 2 this afternoon. They are going to give him some food and water and see if he keeps it down. She said to call her around 7 tomight to see if he can come home.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts