Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes my chi will drag her backside along the floor, so I called my vet and was told this means she has worms (because of her age she ruled out anal glands). However, she has been dewromed and we've never seen any sign of them (I've even checked it and seen nothing!)

Is there any other explanation?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
WOW that was weird of your vet, it could be just itchy for cryin out loud and anal glands are still a possibility. I wipe my doggies butts after they go cause sometimes (not to be gross) there are lil buddies hanging around :lol:
I dont want the buddies on my rugs ya know :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought!

I do the same actually after she poos

How can I tell if its anal glands? I've read a bit, but I dont see anything??

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Megan777 said:
That's what I thought!

I do the same actually after she poos

How can I tell if its anal glands? I've read a bit, but I dont see anything??
Not real sure I just think they will do it more often....and maybe be red?? You need a better expert on that. Kemo leaks his anal juice sometimes. YUCK what a smell. If the poopies are firm then that usually keep things working good. I thought my new baby had a problem and my vet check hers internally and she was ok, other than being in pain from the vet :oops: and embarassed (she whispered to me) LOL

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Haha...to elaborate...it is very hard to tell externally if the anal sacs are full. Normally they will show behavioral signs like dragging their butts (they sometimes do this when they have internal parasites or constipation, but anal glands is much more common). Why is it important to express their anal glands? Domestic dogs fill their anal sacs with lipidy material that in the wild is used to scent mark when dropping stool, or in times of extreme danger. Domestic dogs under normal conditions don't express their own sacs, and thus they get quite full.

Now why your vet told you that your dog was too young for anal gland material to form...not sure? Anal gland material can form as early as 2-3 weeks, and as they get older, the material just gets increasingly viscous, making expression more difficult and the dog more prone to infection.

Without regular expression, some dogs can develop infections which can abcess, rupture, or cause anal sacculitis. It only takes a few seconds to check each sac and express them. The worst case scenario is that they are empty. If they are, you can move on to the next differential diagnosis.

That being said, since you are in Southern California, PM Kristin if you would like me to take a look at your chi for you =)

-Nate

·
Registered
250 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
WOW that was weird of your vet, it could be just itchy for cryin out loud and anal glands are still a possibility. I wipe my doggies butts after they go cause sometimes (not to be gross) there are lil buddies hanging around :lol:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

I know EXACTLY what you mean. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi
i just had my vet here for my chis annual checkup and he checked the anal glands cause she does the same thing and they were fine, but since chis are so clean and like to lickthemselves clean he said she had to lose 1 lb and she could reach easier and there was no problem
mj

·
Registered
53 Posts
KB said:

I know what you mean, I wash Odie because of his neck. I keep a box of Huggie Sensitive wipes on hand. Poor guy acts embarrassed when I say "Let's wash your butt lil' boy"! They sleep with me so I don't want any poo around the bed LOL!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hmmmm! That is wierd that your vet told you that she was to young for anal gland issues? I have had at least two dogs that have only had issues with anal glands being full at puppy ages and it did not continue as an adult?? I usually can tell by the smell because it is god awful, LOL! Also the scooting of the butt and other irritations. I didnt realize that a dog could reach and express their own anal glands?? I am not sure I believe that either because my dogs are plenty thin enough and I have never seen them do anymore than lick there?? IMO I would find another vet.

I too will clean behinds after they do the deed:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
just wondering, isn’t a dog that has anal gland problems suppose to smell quite badly? :(

Ivy sometimes scoots as well but she has or still has giardia (waiting for the test to come from the follow-up :coolwink: ) so it would be hard for me to tell if she has anal gland problems but I was reading that it smells bad so it is easy to tell … right :confused:

TIA

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Isolde said:
just wondering, isn’t a dog that has anal gland problems suppose to smell quite badly? :(
Not necessarily. When I dogsat my sisters dogs last year while she was out of the country, one of her little ones developed an abcess and at no time did I detect any odor, before or after the glands being expressed. In fact she never did scoot on the carpet or anything. She showed NO outward signs of a problem at all, that abcess just showed up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The only time we see the occasional butt scootin is a sure sign of - oops - poop in the house - down the hallway. They never do the butt scoot outside - just inside - outside they just kick their back feet out.

·
Banned
705 Posts
When I asked the Vet Nurse whether I should book an appointment to have Pebbles anal glands sorted out, because she occasionally had a nasty (fishy) smell coming from her, the Vet Nurse said the smell was the glands emptying. Hence, no need for any action to be taken. She said that only if she was scooting or showing signs of discomfort did I need to book an appointment. Don't know if that helps. That was a good couple of months ago and she's fine, apart from this fishy smell that comes up now and then. Fran:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good Lord, every other time I read a thread here I find something else my dog does that I need to worry about. Oobi has had a few days of diarrhea this week ( I am trying like crazy to get his system sorted out ) and on those days he not only scooted his little butt on the rug, he did it on my bed...TWICE!! He isn't doing it compulsively or all the time though, just on the diarrhea days....I thought he was just trying to "wipe" himself in the only way he knew how.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
It is possible that he was wiping his rear. Chibi and Yoshi both will do this at times if they feel that there is something still there. But it could also be that the anal glands are full and it is uncomfortable for him. I would have it checked just to be sure:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts