Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my chi's first winter! I'm wondering how much bundling up she will need to go outside in the winter time and not freeze. :confused:

Just to give you an idea of how cold our winters are, the average temp is around -20 C / -4 F. There is usually also a windchill that goes with it so it feels like the temp outside is more like -30 C / -22 F. And the lowest the temp will go will be around -40 c/f
We just got our first snowfall (Well more of a small blizzard!) of they year :sad8: it is currently -3 C / 27f (but with the strong wind the temp is -13 C/9 F and at leat 10 cm of snow already).

So if anyone has any suggestions on what I can get her to keep warm, any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would bundle her in the warmest coat you can find at those temps, and not keep her out but a very few minutes. They make shoes/booties for dogs, but they don't really stay on their feet. But I would be careful, because that kind of cold could possibly "burn" her paws. I would say just keep her out of the cold as much as you can. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
aw, your chi is adorable! This in my first winter with my pup as well, but luckily the temps in the Pacific Northwest don't get that low. I plan to take it day by day, but she does have a coat and booties that I'll try to get to stay on her feet if we have snow on the ground. My plan is to only keep her outdoors long enough to do her business. If there is snow on the ground, I'll clear away an area for her to go potty. I don't want to be out there anymore than she does, lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of right now all I have is a sweater. Its cute and keeps her somewhat warm, but it is certainly not enought!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would see if you could find like a parka type coat. Zoey is potty pad trained because I didn't want her going outside in the snow and our winters can be brutal here. She goes to work with me, and she freezes just from the car to the house/work building. What I normally do is she wears a sweater, & a parka coat, also has a thermal blanket with a heated rice matt in there with her so she stays warms. Sometimes she is still cold after all that.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hello! This is my chi's first winter! I'm wondering how much bundling up she will need to go outside in the winter time and not freeze. :confused:

Just to give you an idea of how cold our winters are, the average temp is around -20 C / -4 F. There is usually also a windchill that goes with it so it feels like the temp outside is more like -30 C / -22 F. And the lowest the temp will go will be around -40 c/f
We just got our first snowfall (Well more of a small blizzard!) of they year :sad8: it is currently -3 C / 27f (but with the strong wind the temp is -13 C/9 F and at leat 10 cm of snow already).

So if anyone has any suggestions on what I can get her to keep warm, any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks!!!
I'm guessing you meant suggestions aside from moving much farther south?! :laughing6:
Definitely sweaters and a parka and not being outside for more than a few minutes at a time. Sometimes when it's super cold here, I just let mine out in the garage--at least the wind isn't a factor that way.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Where on earth do you live brrrrrrrrr I thought England was cold ugh brrrrrrrrr

Tbh I'd layer her layers will keep her far warmer than just a coat it's the same as you layering!! I'd lut a jumper on her and a warm coat and probably boots.. I on a boot hunt for the salt and snow myself

I wouldn't take her out too long in that weather but obviously she will need to go out at some point or shell go stir crazy lol u can tuck her in your coat too

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr chilly chilly

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I'm guessing you meant suggestions aside from moving much farther south?! :laughing6:
No kidding! Where on earth do you live?! Yikes! Definitely a warm parka. The ones we have are fleece lined for warmth and then nylon on the outside for water proofing. You may want to look for one thats down filled for those frosty temps. If you are in Canada, (which Im inclined to think that you are!) Chilly Dogs makes really lovely, and expensive coats for dogs. We have a great white north coat for Reese, its big on him though so youd probably want to have them do a custom coat for Ren, I believe theyre made to order anyway and are agreeable to custom sizes.

Chilly Dogs - Outdoor gear for Active Dogs - Dog Coats

1 - 10 of 10 Posts