Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 week old little boy chi. (Pictured in my avatar) We are having a tough time to get him to drink water on his own from his water bowl. We know he is getting enough fluids because he pees like 10 times a day. I would just have a better piece of mind knowing that he would drink right from the bowl. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions that they used when bowl training their pup? Thank you for the help and sorry if this has been posted before.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have found my 3 chis don't drink that much as they have such small bladders they would burst lol.

As long as he is getting liquid I think its all k!!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
It sounds like he is getting enough fluid for his little body, especially if he is going pee that often. As long as water is always available, and Nixon knows where it is at, you should be fine. I have two Chihuauas - Bosco hardly ever drinks and Lola can always be found by the water bowl. I think it varies for each Chihuahua.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! Thank you so much. I just needed to hear that I am not the only one so now I can stop worrying about him.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
aw, yeah nixon is drinking enough. if he wasn't he wouldn't be peeing as frequently. if he gets wet food, it ocntains water also so he gets his water from that as well. my chiwi is a water hog.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Don't worry I k :roll: now it seems like they hardly drink any water. The Only time Auggie drinks a lot is after zoomies or a hot walk

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
When Gadget first started drinking water I gave him water out of a dog food can lid(The plastic ones you buy at the store). Then I put his water in a tiny little bowl( a small custard bowl) and then I put it in Amanda toy dish and then I fially got him to drink out of his dog water bowl.. Now I have no problem with him... He even drinks out of Straws and water bottle lids...
Nixon might be over welmed with the size of his bowl... I know Gadget was... The very first time he drank water besides in his bottle was when I put it on a spoon...

I hope this helps...

Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
As long as he is urinating so frequently, he is fine. My Jasmine is not a big water drinker either, and I used to worry about her drinking enough. But I keep fresh water in her bowl at all times and just let her drink when she wants and try not to worry. :lol:

I really don't blame her for not drinking a lot of water. I hate drinking water, and know I don't drink enough. I drink lots of liquids but mostly in the form of coffee, tea, soda or milk. And yes, I know that is not good for you, but I just don't like drinking water.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
When Lily was on wet food she hardly ever drank any water. Drove me crazy with worry, even though she was a peeing machine. :lol: Then the first time she ate an entire meal of dry food, she drank a ton of water right afterwards. That drove me crazy with worry too, until I got used to it. I guess there is just no pleasing a chi mom (or dad?). :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you tried changing the bowl itself?

Peanut does not like to eat from a certain food bowl and at first I thought he was sick but when I realized and changed his bowl he started to eat more. You could also try putting little ice cubes in his water and maybe he might like it better, he will also start to play with the ice. This is a refreshing and safe toy as long as you wet it first to be certain that his little tongue doesnt get stuck :)

I hope this helps in some way and good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It worked. I used just a little plastic lid (like the kind that are used to cover dog or human food cans) and he drank like it was no problem. It was the size of the bowl that intimidated him. Thank you also so much for the suggestions and support. I feel a lot better now!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i noticed to get chiwi to drink when we are outside of the house she likes using those little dixie cups that you use for a water cooler.. i keep a bunch in our doggy diaper bag along with a single serve bottle of water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts