Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zola doesn't normally have a probably with drinking his water but the past few days he has really not been drinking allot. Any advice on how I can get him to drink. I tried mixing water in with his food but then he just wont eat the food. Also tried putting it on my finger but he wont have that either.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
IF she isnt drinking at all you might try feeding her canned food and add some water to that. Canned food has water already in it but you can still add more to it. Check her gums too...are they pink, moist?

You can even try flavoring the water with pedialite or a little bit of apple juice. Pedialite is okay for them to drink...you can have half pedialite and half water...apple juice you dont want to put a lot in...maybe a tablespoon in her water dish.

Oh yeah, anothe trick that works well with my girls is to put ice cubes in her water bowl. They will want to play with the ice cubes and sometimes that gets them to drink the water.

Let us know how she does! Good luck. Worse comes to worse take her to the vet if you notice she starts acting sick.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
:shock: Wow i totally missed that you tried mixing the water with food...sorry.
Just keep the water available and watch him. You will notice if he is dehydrated...his pee will be much stronger in color and odor and he will start to slow down.

BTW I noticed that Zola looks exactly like my Ginger. He is a cutie!!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah hes on baby food. My boyfriend just said he thinks he will get plenty of water out of that to. No pale gums and he doesnt seem sick at all. Was probably just be paranoid. They make you worry so much don't they. Im gonna try giving him an ice cube anyway and see how he likes that. Thanks a million for the advice

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
is he peeing regularly? if so then there's nothing to be worried about. my vet says that if theya re peeing like normal and they are drinking some then they are ok. as long as no other symptoms are present like darker less frequent and small amounts of urine, lack of energy, appetite bowl movements ext.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would watch your chi closely. If he isnt drinking any water at all you should consider calling the vet. Lots of vets will answer question and concerns over the phone. Hopefully nothing is wrong with your baby.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Honestly some dogs depending how old they happen to be, stray away from the water because they sometimes snap back into missing their mother milk, so what I did with my pup was put a little water, and that helped bring him back to drinking water.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I don't think that Roxy drinks enough water either, but she is fine and pees OK. Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.