Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 1 1/2 yr old Chihuahua has been dry heaving alot since last night and when I say alot I mean like every couple minutes. There is throw up every now and then but for the most part he's just heaving. I don't know what to do nor do I know what it could be. Its hurting me to watch him. Thoughts? Ideas? Anything will help!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Does he have something stuck in the back of his mouth, causing a gag reflex? If he's been doing it since last night, I'd get to the vet pronto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's not doing it as often and he's done it before just not so frequent. He's still playing and being himself just hell stop and hack kinda

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he's doing better its not so frequent anymore...idk he's still himself it doesn't seem to bother him to where he doesn't wanna play with our other dog so im not too too concerned since he's not

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would still suggest a vet visit. Chi's can have a condition called collapsing trachea where they suck in air and make a honking noise over and over. Reverse sneezing can sound similar, but usually doesn't last long. The retching and dry heaving, if even if its not as frequent, could be a symptom of a serious condition like a collapsing trachea. I'd get him to be seen as soon as you can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I rescued my first chi. She did the same thing. I actually brought her to the vet and said it was more of a hack than a cough. But they told me it was kennel cough and put her on meds she stopped hacking in 1 day! Has she been around any other dogs that could have possibly had it? I just remember at night she would be up hacking and it was so sad!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts