Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have A 16 WK Old chi and am wondering if anyone has any good advice on what brand of dry kibble is good for Chihuahuas that is good quality but not so high in protein?

He is currently on Billy Jac but dog food anyalalyst gives this bad reviews. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all
Erica

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
That is going to be a hard question to answer. So many of the "better" companies are outsourcing, changing hands, etc. I would normally say, Wellness, EVO, Innova, California Natural, Natures Variety....... But some have gone to P&G, and some have sold out and changed their formulas that have been causing problems for several of our pups.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Ziwipeak is the best IMO. :) Dehydrated raw. There are some others, Stella & Chewy's, Grandma Lucy's, and The Honest Kitchen. Maybe look into those?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I would go with the Ziwipeak (if there is a puppy) or the Orijen puppy food. That is just my opinion if I were to look for puppy food again. I am sure you will get many more good ideas. I would make sure to stay away from the ones TLI mentioned above as they have sold out P&G.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I would go with the Ziwipeak (if there is a puppy) or the Orijen puppy food. That is just my opinion if I were to look for puppy food again. I am sure you will get many more good ideas. I would make sure to stay away from the ones TLI mentioned above as they have sold out P&G.
My girls are on Innova Puppy right now and they love it. I want to switch because I know that P&G buying out Natura=BAD!! I wanted to do Orijen Puppy, but is that too much protein for them? I just got them another bag of Innova because it was still a bag from before they were bought out, but I wanted to switch them with this bag gradually. Anyone know anything about Orijen Puppy containing too much protein?? Just curious :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you happen to know what is considered a percentage of a high protien count for puppy food and what is considered in the normal range for protien content?

Thank you
Erica

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I highly recommend The Honest Kitchen for dogs of all ages. They have three all life stages formulas that can be fed to puppies and those are Embark, Thrive, and Preference (additional meat required).

The Honest Kitchen is a fantastic dehydrated raw diet that combines the benefits of raw with the convenience of kibble. With THK you can feed it alone or combine it with raw (with or without bone), kibble, canned, and/or cooked (boneless) meats. The ingredients are human grade and manufactured in a human food processing facility. The veggies in THK are dehydrated at a lower temperature which means that they are still "raw" and the meats are dehydrated at a slightly higher temp of 120 degrees Fahrenheit which kills off any harmful parasites effectively eliminating the concern of food safety in the house that many of us have about feeding a true raw diet. It's easy to prepare too, just mix with warm water let it sit for 10 minutes and serve. Being human grade food that means YOU could safely eat it too, but be advised it is made for dogs not people so don't think I'm suggesting you eat it. lol Just saying you could if you wanted to it's that safe! And since it is combined with water to rehydrate the food your dogs will drink a lot less than they would with kibble, in this case it would be much like a real raw diet where they get plenty of water in their food which is much more natural. The Honest Kitchen also does not have the excessively high protein levels that are often brought up as a concern to a lot of folks who were concerned about the levels in Evo, Orijen, Blue Wilderness, etc.

My dogs are a walking testament to how great The Honest Kitchen foods and supplements are! I have coupons and coupon codes that I can share if you or anyone is interested in trying any of The Honest Kitchen products.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I highly recommend The Honest Kitchen for dogs of all ages. They have three all life stages formulas that can be fed to puppies and those are Embark, Thrive, and Preference (additional meat required).

The Honest Kitchen is a fantastic dehydrated raw diet that combines the benefits of raw with the convenience of kibble. With THK you can feed it alone or combine it with raw (with or without bone), kibble, canned, and/or cooked (boneless) meats. The ingredients are human grade and manufactured in a human food processing facility. The veggies in THK are dehydrated at a lower temperature which means that they are still "raw" and the meats are dehydrated at a slightly higher temp of 120 degrees Fahrenheit which kills off any harmful parasites effectively eliminating the concern of food safety in the house that many of us have about feeding a true raw diet. It's easy to prepare too, just mix with warm water let it sit for 10 minutes and serve. Being human grade food that means YOU could safely eat it too, but be advised it is made for dogs not people so don't think I'm suggesting you eat it. lol Just saying you could if you wanted to it's that safe! And since it is combined with water to rehydrate the food your dogs will drink a lot less than they would with kibble, in this case it would be much like a real raw diet where they get plenty of water in their food which is much more natural. The Honest Kitchen also does not have the excessively high protein levels that are often brought up as a concern to a lot of folks who were concerned about the levels in Evo, Orijen, Blue Wilderness, etc.

My dogs are a walking testament to how great The Honest Kitchen foods and supplements are! I have coupons and coupon codes that I can share if you or anyone is interested in trying any of The Honest Kitchen products.
Val, I'm thrilled that your dogs are doing so well on THK! That is a great testimonial as I know you are very picky and particular about nutrition. (I mean that as a compliment in the BEST possible way!) I hope others will try this great food as an alternative to kibble.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

I REALLY want to try The Honest Kitchen, but it is so darn expensive..do you have those coupons??? I would love to see what deals they are:)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Val, I'm thrilled that your dogs are doing so well on THK! That is a great testimonial as I know you are very picky and particular about nutrition. (I mean that as a compliment in the BEST possible way!) I hope others will try this great food as an alternative to kibble.
Thank you and I know how you meant it. ;) I definitely am super picky about what my dogs eat and I couldn't be happier than I am right now with THK. It's a great product at a great price, I'm actually saving money since it costs LESS than Evo! I only wish I'd been feeding THK a lot longer.

I'm going to be going to Innova EVO food. It's a good one I hear/read/see. lol

Holy cow The Honest Kitchen is SO expensive!
The Honest Kitchen is actually not that expensive at all, in fact when you compare the price pound for pound it is actually cheaper than the premium grain free kibbles like Evo, Orijen, Solid Gold, Natural Balance and the list goes on.

I fed my dogs Evo kibble and that cost me $55 for a 28.6 lb bag of food.

Now I buy the 10 lb box of The Honest Kitchen Keen which costs me $52 for a 10 lb box that actually makes 40-43 lbs of food.

So, when you break it down to cost per lb:
Evo cost me $1.92/lb
THK Keen cost me $1.30/lb

THK is definitely the cheaper of the two! And it costs even less with the coupons that I have. ;)

I REALLY want to try The Honest Kitchen, but it is so darn expensive..do you have those coupons??? I would love to see what deals they are:)
Yes, I do have the coupons and I will send you a PM. And like I mentioned above, THK really is not as expensive as it looks at first glance. Do remember when you look at a formula, lets say the Verve formula for example, it costs about $30 for a 4 lb box but that 4 lb box actually makes 16 lbs of food. That translates into $1.87 per pound.

I remember spending $16 for a 4 lb bag of Wellness Core (that's $4 per pound!) so when you compare the price pound for pound The Honest Kitchen is actually a very good deal. So with Core I spent $4/lb and with THK Keen I'm spending $1.30/lb...wow, now that is some serious savings!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thank you and I know how you meant it. ;) I definitely am super picky about what my dogs eat and I couldn't be happier than I am right now with THK. It's a great product at a great price, I'm actually saving money since it costs LESS than Evo! I only wish I'd been feeding THK a lot longer.

The Honest Kitchen is actually not that expensive at all, in fact when you compare the price pound for pound it is actually cheaper than the premium grain free kibbles like Evo, Orijen, Solid Gold, Natural Balance and the list goes on.

I fed my dogs Evo kibble and that cost me $55 for a 28.6 lb bag of food.

Now I buy the 10 lb box of The Honest Kitchen Keen which costs me $52 for a 10 lb box that actually makes 40-43 lbs of food.

So, when you break it down to cost per lb:
Evo cost me $1.92/lb
THK Keen cost me $1.30/lb

THK is definitely the cheaper of the two! And it costs even less with the coupons that I have. ;)

Yes, I do have the coupons and I will send you a PM. And like I mentioned above, THK really is not as expensive as it looks at first glance. Do remember when you look at a formula, lets say the Verve formula for example, it costs about $30 for a 4 lb box but that 4 lb box actually makes 16 lbs of food. That translates into $1.87 per pound.

I remember spending $16 for a 4 lb bag of Wellness Core (that's $4 per pound!) so when you compare the price pound for pound The Honest Kitchen is actually a very good deal. So with Core I spent $4/lb and with THK Keen I'm spending $1.30/lb...wow, now that is some serious savings!
Okay, that would be great:) So you feed lesser portions pretty much?? It is kibble right? Just dehydrated raw?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You don't really feed "less" per se. THK dehydrated foods are like a powdery dry formula, you mix it with warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes to rehydrate. After letting it rehydrate it is a bit more formed and not so liquid-y, my husband describes the finished product when served as kinda like the consistency of stuffing...maybe slightly softer but pretty similar. 1 cup of the food mixed with 1 cup of water makes 1 lb of food. The feeding guidelines for the complete foods say to feed 1/2 cup of food for less active dogs up to 10 lbs. I feed my chi girls, who are both around 7 lbs, 1/4 cup of THK mixed with 1/4 cup of warm water and also add in just a little bit of wet food, raw, or cooked meat. My husky eats 1 cup of THK mixed with 1 cup of water and some added wet food, raw, or cooked meat as well. I like to rotate what I mix but mixing is optional with the complete diets, you can feed it as is if you prefer.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You don't really feed "less" per se. THK dehydrated foods are like a powdery dry formula, you mix it with warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes to rehydrate. After letting it rehydrate it is a bit more formed and not so liquid-y, my husband describes the finished product when served as kinda like the consistency of stuffing...maybe slightly softer but pretty similar. 1 cup of the food mixed with 1 cup of water makes 1 lb of food. The feeding guidelines for the complete foods say to feed 1/2 cup of food for less active dogs up to 10 lbs. I feed my chi girls, who are both around 7 lbs, 1/4 cup of THK mixed with 1/4 cup of warm water and also add in just a little bit of wet food, raw, or cooked meat. My husky eats 1 cup of THK mixed with 1 cup of water and some added wet food, raw, or cooked meat as well. I like to rotate what I mix but mixing is optional with the complete diets, you can feed it as is if you prefer.
OHHHHH! Okay, makes more sense..For your two girls, how long does a bad usually last you? They are currently on Innova Puppy and it is like $21 for a 6 lb. bag, which lasts about 2 months, maybe a bit less than that.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
OHHHHH! Okay, makes more sense..For your two girls, how long does a bad usually last you? They are currently on Innova Puppy and it is like $21 for a 6 lb. bag, which lasts about 2 months, maybe a bit less than that.
A 4 lb box that makes 16 lbs of food that is fed only to my two chi girls should last over a month if it's all I feed them but with a mix it tends to last about two months I'd say. It's hard to tell exactly since my husky eats the same food and obviously he eats more! I know your girls are smaller than mine so I'm sure it would last you even longer than it does for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts