Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit concerned about Stewart and didn't know if anyone else has had this issue with their Chi. Stewart scratches all the time. He has had this problem since I bought him and he did not have fleas then nor does he now...I have taken to using baby detergent to wash his bed linens although he mainly sleeps with me now but I don't use fabric softener on my bed because of him. He stays in the house the majority of the day - I take him out for potty breaks maybe 3 times (1 in the morning and 2 more when I get home from work).

My vet at one time said maybe he just has dry skin - well that is fine but what do I do about it? It hurts me to watch him scratch all the time. I am calling my vet this morning but didn't know if anyone else had this issue and could give me a suggestion.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
well if things like fleas, mange, skin infections and allergies are ruled out and he just has dry skin the vet i used to work at would recomend using an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner such as Relief every 2-3 weeks. and start them on derma caps spray or capsules.

·
Registered
450 Posts
José had a BIG problem with itching... we tried skin scrapes for mange, antibiotics for a skin infection secondary to his itching and biting his feet raw, special sprays, ointments... all the to the tune of about $400 spent at the vet... who was recommending we see an allergist... I did some research, and found my $12 bottle of a miracle. TOMLYN Nova Pearls Medicated Tar Shampoo. You can find it at Petsmart or Petco... or my favorite online doggie store... http://www.dog.com

http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=190953+401&Cat=

They also make a "dry skin" shampoo that has sulfur and salicylic acid in it but it smells worse than the tar shampoo because of the sulfur.

Not saying it will be a miracle cure for your pooch but it certainly worked for mine. I tried the oatmeal shampoo's, I thought they would be soothing to his skin and he would stop... but it wasn't enough... If you are noticing dandruff type flakes and a possible oily coat due to the itching... give the tar stuff a try, it stinks, but its worth a shot! Just my advice of course. You can always see what your vet recommends.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi
Sally Lolita's skin was very dry and had flakes on it. She started loosing her hair too and was scratching.
What i've started doing is to boil rosemary leaves and then I wash the dry spots with this water. After, I apply beaver oil mixed with eucaliptus oil (250 ml bottle of beaver oil, 2 teaspoon of eucaliptus oil), and I also give her seaweed as little treats...she loves them (1/2 teaspoon twice a day). I've been doing this for less than a week and I already see a big difference....her skin is not dry and it is not flaking anymore. So i thought u might like to try this too. I hope ur doggie gets better.
Mando

P.S. I read u can give them dandelion leaves too...I bought the leaves but i haven't tried them yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I talked to Stewie's vet and he is having me try several things before we go through allergy testing and what not...

He has me giving him children's benadryl twice a day and he has this stuff called Heska Granules. I put that on his food and he doesn't seem to like it but for $28 a container he is going to eat it! :lol:

The vet says that if in one month things haven't cleared up that I will have to have diagnostics done to figure out what the issue is.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The 3V caps work wonders! I've used it in the past with another dog. I didn't get immediate results, but within a week, I noticed a difference in the skin.

Nate - What about cod liver oil capsules that people take? I know they are a lot cheaper. That is full of Omega 3 right?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
What about his diet ? maybe there is something in his food
making him itch ? such as a lot of maize or something ( just a thought ?? )
I know some foods are made especially for dogs with 'that problem'

Bless him , hope he stops itching soon ...

Sara xx

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as I posted in another post...my computer blew up so I am sorry it has taken a while to post back.

Stewie does NOT like the Heska Granuals - he doesn't want to eat his food with that one it...but the Benadryl seems to be making a difference. I had some trouble in the beginning getting him to take a liquid but it is getting much better. He is not scratching as much.

He doesn't eat just dog food (I know I am bad) so I am not sure that it is his diet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts