Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna guess this has been asked before but I'm gonna go ahead and ask again. I've come a long way on nutrition for dogs (used to feed my dogs Science Diet, Beneful, and the like) but think I still may have a ways to go. I now alternate between dry mixes like Wellness, TOTW, and Blue Halo. I just read one of the articles posted on here by one of the members. In the article there seemed to be some thoughts that dry mixes can cause kidney/renal problems because dogs and cats don't drink enough to compensate. What do you think about this? It makes sense to me.
So should I go to canned food? But then what about the BPA that's found in the lining of most cans (and contaminating the food itself)? Should I alternate dry and canned? Should I just add water to dry food?

My last chi (RIP) was diagnosed with renal failure so this a concern for me. Don't want to go that route again.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
If you are concerned and still want to feed dry food, I would just add some water to the kibble. You could also go with a pre-made dehydrated raw such as Stella & Chewy's, which you add water to when feeding.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was listening to Martha Stewart radio and vet said No dry food for dog and cats. So I was going to find out more but haven't yet. but Thanks for reminder.
So what did he recommend? Hmmm. Makes me want to look even further into this.

Dehyrated raw food?! Well, that's genius. Have not heard of that. Looking into that more too.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If I was ever to feed kibble I would definitely add water! Just like when I feed ZiwiPeak. It's a freeze dried food so I always add water. It helps them have the moisture they need to process as well as slows them down a bit. :lol: Stella & Chewy's is a WONDERFUL food & we feed it a lot ourselves. Honest Kitchen is great as well because you have to add water to make the food.

You're on the right track though...if not switch to a food that has moisture in it (Stella & Chewy's, Honest Kitchen) than add water. As for canned foods--the best one I've found is the wet ZiwiPeak. I don't think I'd personally be comfortable feeding a canned food as a primary food as it is still "cooked" per say. But saying that, I do add this in our rotation now & again as well.

Good luck in your decision & search! :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Since I have absolutely no idea out of the main 3 listed here, I just ordered a small portion of them all! I had no clue what would be best. Kinda excited about trying something new!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I feed Stella and Chewys to my three, and Miley still gets some kibble for meals because she doesnt seem to keep weight on without it (Im pretty certain thats unusual). I love Stella and Chewys and they DEVOUR it! I add about 1/3 cup of warm water to their food whether its a kibble meal for Miley or the S&C, with the Stella and Chewy patties I add the water and then kind of mash it up until it looks like canned food.
I did NOT like the Honest Kitchen, and neither did one of my dogs or my cats, but I know a lot of people feed it to their dogs with great success. I also tried Ziwipeak, for my dogs it seemed to be too rich and gave them diarrhea, but again I know a lot of others do well on it.
If you go with Stella and Chewys, I recommend feeding primarily the frozen patties. The freeze dried are literally TWICE the price of the frozen. That would get expensive if youre also feeding a Boston. I always keep a bag of freeze dried on hand though for when I forget to thaw the patties, which I seem to do at least once a week :)
Have you posted pics of your pups already? I am a sucker for Bostons too!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feed Stella and Chewys to my three, and Miley still gets some kibble for meals because she doesnt seem to keep weight on without it (Im pretty certain thats unusual). I love Stella and Chewys and they DEVOUR it! I add about 1/3 cup of warm water to their food whether its a kibble meal for Miley or the S&C, with the Stella and Chewy patties I add the water and then kind of mash it up until it looks like canned food.
I did NOT like the Honest Kitchen, and neither did one of my dogs or my cats, but I know a lot of people feed it to their dogs with great success. I also tried Ziwipeak, for my dogs it seemed to be too rich and gave them diarrhea, but again I know a lot of others do well on it.
If you go with Stella and Chewys, I recommend feeding primarily the frozen patties. The freeze dried are literally TWICE the price of the frozen. That would get expensive if youre also feeding a Boston. I always keep a bag of freeze dried on hand though for when I forget to thaw the patties, which I seem to do at least once a week :)
Have you posted pics of your pups already? I am a sucker for Bostons too!
I did not notice the price difference between the freeze dried and frozen S&C. Of course i ordered the freeze dried. I was thinking I might not have enough freezer space for frozen so I didn't even look at those prices. Yes, i would be feeding my Boston too. Thanks for the tip on price differences.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
That is great that you are trying those foods! My dogs looove both. I prefer to feed them ZiwiPeak, but I always add a little water. It doesn't soak up the water like S&C does, though.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I did not notice the price difference between the freeze dried and frozen S&C. Of course i ordered the freeze dried. I was thinking I might not have enough freezer space for frozen so I didn't even look at those prices. Yes, i would be feeding my Boston too. Thanks for the tip on price differences.
Youre welcome. I didnt see it at first, either. I dont think that you can buy the frozen online-at least Ive never found them. Any kind of natural pet food store, if they dont carry it already, would probably order the frozen for you without charging extra if you decide to feed that long term. Thats how I get mine.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
i bought thk recently and none of my dogs will eat it :( i was so excited to feed it as the dehydrated raw i was buyings supplier shut down her business and i cant find it anywhere else even ninja my dog who breaths/sleeps/lives for food would not touch it :(

ziwipeak my dogs ate but stopped after a short while i really like the ziwipeak though i may try it again with my guys

i cant find the stella and chewys here

good luck let us know the outcome

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
i bought thk recently and none of my dogs will eat it :( i was so excited to feed it as the dehydrated raw i was buyings supplier shut down her business and i cant find it anywhere else even ninja my dog who breaths/sleeps/lives for food would not touch it :(

ziwipeak my dogs ate but stopped after a short while i really like the ziwipeak though i may try it again with my guys

i cant find the stella and chewys here

good luck let us know the outcome

Sherrrrrriiiii!!! You gotta have a stronger mind than those Chi's!! LOL I am dog-sitting THE WORLDS PICKIEST POMERANIAN and I've had her for a couple weeks. She is WOOFING down Stella & Chewy's & ZiwiPeak as if it were going out of style. LOL This is a dog who typically picks one piece of kibble out of her bowl & lets it sit on the floor for 10 mins before deciding to crunch it down. She'll do this all day long...that is how she is used to eating at her Papa's house. Now she goes mental while I'm preparing bfast/dinner with the rest of the Chi's. hehe It's amazing what happens if food isn't readily available & they are offered nothing else as an alternative. Their mind set changes after they get that rumbly in their tumbly. ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
When feeding Stella and Chewy's frozen do you worry about how many times it has been frozen/unthawed in traveling from manufacture to where you purchase it?

I've wanted to feed frozen but that is my concern.

I've tried feeding Honest Kitchen but I don't like the consistency once the water is added- turns into a green soupy paste.
Cody LOVES Stella and Chewy's freeze-dried. Luckily he is my only dog who eats S&C so it isn't too expensive feeding him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts