Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female Chihuahua who has recently turned 2 years old is around 1 week away from whelping, and I have just gone upstairs to find her tied to one of our male dogs. He has just turned 1.

We think he is the one that successfully mated with her (accidentally) around 8 weeks ago. She came out of season around 2 weeks later, or so we thought as both males had no interest in her, so we left her out of cage, only to find the same male tied again next day. They are the only 2 times we had seen them tied.

Is it normal and safe for them mate again so soon to whelping? Could this bring on whelping?

·
Banned
177 Posts
Gosh i seriously hope this is a wind up.

Firstly... shame on you for allowing this breeding to happen.. if you had come on the forum as soon as you first found them tied (whilst she was in heat) you would of been advised to mismate and terminate the pregnancy.

Secondly.. NO its not normal.. i have never heard of a bitch accepting whilst she is in whelp.. If i was you i would call your vet and get her down there for a check.. does she have any discharge?? Bitches when due to give birth give off a funny scent that can send the dogs nuts but i have never heard of them mating. I wouldnt be suprised if she had an infection.

thirdly... leaving them and allowing them to tie is stupid and damn right Dangerous.. both your dogs could die.. dogs can and do panic in a tie and cause their genitals to rupture... an in seaon bitch should never be left alone with any male, neutered or not.

I really do hope you are prepared for this.. raising a litter is not an easy job.. please look after your bitch.. and do some quick reading on the signs and what to expect.. this post makes me everso sad

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I have to agree with the above post.

I'd get her to the vets ASAP, this doesn't sound normal at all. I have also never heard of a pregnant bitch allowing a male to mate with her. Are you sure she is pregnant? Has she been scanned or xrayed to confirm?

I'm sure this isn't normal at all.

Dogs should not just be left to mate without supervision, it can be very dangerous, one could panick and cause serious damage to both.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree that this is NOT normal. I would get her into your vet to be checked out. She could have an infection that is giving off an odor that is attracting your male, however she should not have stood for him. A very abnormal situation that should be checked out by your vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts