Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chihuahua is about 8 months old and is long haired. We took him for his first grooming last week and the groomer pointed out that his coat seemed very dull. His coat colour is blue and I have read that they can have coat issues.

We feed him blue buffalo and occasionally mix in Iams wet food. He also gets an egg a few times a week. Should we change his diet? What else could be causing his coat issues? He is super playful, full of life, loves food, and is otherwise very healthy.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Probably could use some oil you can get at the pet shops for coat. Also maybe this is puppy coat? Brush, brush and brush some more! Sue Davis

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi

I have a 6 1/2 month old long coat & this is what he looked like until his coat started coming in. I used to say it looked like he was covered in felt. The first sign it was starting to grow in was that the hair on the back of his ears got thick & long & the hair on the tip of his tail started growing so it made his tail look extra long.

He is now beautiful & shiny and has a lovely ruff around his neck & it's still growing.

Don't stress I think chi's coats grow at different rates just like human babies hair & his coat will grow in when it is good & ready. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with the salmon oil suggestion. Grizzly is a good brand, or you can do the fish oil capsules for people and just poke a hole in it and drizzle on his food a couple times a week.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
That's his his puppy coat. He's eventually going to blow that coat and his adult coat will come in. Until then, expect his coat to go through stages. It's not unusual for a puppy coat to be somewhat dull regardless of supplements. I wouldn't worry too much. If his coat is still dull and dry after the adult coat comes in, then there might be something more needed. But you're feeding excellent food and you haven't mentioned any health issues so I assume he's healthy, so I wouldn't be too concerned right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts