Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peachie's ears are either dirty or maybe she has mites. She has to go to the vet this week anyway,and doesn't show signs of scratching, shaking her head etc., but there is definitely some crud in there. How do you know? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
With ear mites there will be intense itching, not necessarily all the time but sometimes and most often if you look really closely you can see specks of white moving around if they have a heavy load of mites.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Poor baby...you can q-tip inside a little and then shake it over a dark sheet of paper...mites = wiggling around little dots. I bet she just has some dust and grime in there. The vet will know for sure. I think if it was mites, she would be pawing at her ears.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you wipe the ear crud on a paper towel and smush it around it will often turn a faded orange color from little pieces of dried blood from the mite bites.

The only true way to tell, though, is to have your vet swab the ear and look at the dirt under a microscope.

:) Good luck!

·
Registered
588 Posts
It is most likely dirt. :) Mites are terribly itchy and uncomfortable. I picked up a stray cat once that had them. The best way to tell is check them out under a microscope. I did an ear swab on one of the stray kittens at the clinic once and saw the little mites magnified at around 450x and they're nasty little bugs!!!

Good luck at the vets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts