Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Check his mouth again. Thoroughly with a flashlight. He might have something stuck between his teeth that is rotting? Or a baby tooth retained that was missed by the vet? Or a cracked tooth? If his mouth is totally clear, check his anal glands. If they are bothering him, he will lick at them (sometimes when you aren't watching). What are his poops like? Normal? If so, then I doubt he's having a tummy problem. But you could try a probiotic anyway just to see if it helps. I tend to like the ones for people that are kept in the fridge in the natural foods stores. They have the highest counts of beneficial bacteria. Yogurt is just about useless and the pet ones tend to be the same. Get a really good human one and try that.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Dee, keep us posted! I hope you can solve the halitosis problem. ;)

Do you guys do titers down there? You can test immunity status that way. Here in the states they do distemper/parvo and rabies. They cost more than a shot, but at least you aren't shooting them with antibodies they don't need if they are already fully protected. It's just another tool we have so thought I'd mention it. Simple blood test. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Hiya Tracy,

Yes we do have titers, especially this wonderful holistic vet I've found, BUT after what Pam's been through, it just scared me to death.

I know exactly what titers do and that even if the reading showing immunity it really low, it doesn't mean anything except that the dog hasn't been exposed to parvo or distemper in the recent past etc etc.

I'm just completely freaked out that a dog, who'd had x 2 lots of shots, could succumb, and now yet another one in her home now has it, who also presumably had 1, 2 or 3 shots. So, I figured, go for my lot's 3rd (they've always been perfectly normal after their shots, no reactions) and THEN do titers foreverafter, if that makes sense?

Just in case that didn't come out right - get all 3 dogs to have all 3 shots (they've had x 2 lots) and then that's it, no more, no annual boosters ever unless titers says it's needed. I will not be bothering with kennel cough, waste of money imo, just parvo & distemper.

I thank my lucky stars every day that we are Rabies free over here, and all those big beasts, land and air borne, that hunt out and eat Chi's - gawd, I'd be a physical & mental wreck, but sure as heck would get my gun licence back.
Yep that makes sense. But don't let fear control you Dee. You can walk the dogs in a dog heavy traffic area a few times before you draw blood in order to wake up the immune system. Someone explained it to me as the firemen in a firehouse. Sitting there doing nothing until the bell rings and then they spring to action. If you catch them when there hasn't been an exposure, the titer will show LOW. So wake up those firemen (antibodies) before you draw blood in order to have the most accurate results.

But I certainly do understand the fear of parvo. It is a horrible thing and a very ugly way to die. Once you get past the puppy stage though, it's relatively uncommon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.