Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here in a while. I knew you all could help me though. Maya has been acting like something is bothering her off an on for a few weeks. She will tuck her tail, turn in a circle and lay flat on the floor. Like press herself into the couch flat, not just laying down. Sometimes she will rub her face/ears on the blanket or couch and sometimes she will look towards her rear. I took her to the vet about a week after it started, but she didn't find anything. Maya was not acting weird that day(of course) so she couldn't tell what might have been hurting her.

She was fine for a few days, and then started up again. I started wondering if she was constipated because she was straining a bit when she went out. I gave her pumpkin and I thought it got better. She was still straining off an on, so I just added some soft food into her diet to help keep her soft for a while.

Now she is pooping ok, but she is back to rubbing her ears/face. How can I tell if she has an ear infection? I don't remember if the vet looked into her ears very closely. I am going to make her another appointment, but wanted to see if anything might help her feel better for now. Our vet is very busy, so it might be Friday before I can get her in.

If you have read this book, thanks. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
A yeast infection in the ear will have an odor. Also, you can dampen a cotton ball and swap around in her ear to see if any residue is in the ear. Don't use a Q-tip or anything that will go down into the ear.. but a cotton ball works nicely. I have been advised by our vet to be careful of letting shampoo and/or water run down in the ears when bathing our guys, as that moisture can lead to yeast infections. Hope you pup is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't smell or see anything in her ears. Is it possible to have a regular ear infection, not yeast, without being able to see anything?

I have some sort of drops that the doctor gave us before for when she had stinky ears, but I don't remember what he said was wrong. I am thinking they are antibiotic because the description includes neomycin sulfate. They are tresaderm drops.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Tresaderm is used to treat bacterial, fungal and inflammatory ear infections. We had a long coat chi years ago who had chronic ear infections and used tresaderm drops alot.
There can be infection caused by ear mites as well, but it may be treated with a different prescription.

When you mentioned her looking at her rear, I assume they have ruled out the possibility the anal gland needs to be expressed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to make an appointment with the groomer for tomorrow. She was in 5 weeks ago and they were supposed to have expressed them, but they didn't trim her bottom, so they may have missed that? I don't know for sure.

Whatever it is really bothers her. She will walk with her tail tucked so far down, that she is actually pulling her bottom down too. :(

I will be calling the vet tomorrow too and see if I can get her in before Saturday. Right now, she is laying in a warm blanket. It seems to help her calm down a bit.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I was going to say anal glands as well. I agree with having her checked for ear mites as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts