Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a while back Lola was licking her vagina more often, had a look and nothing was there, took her to the vet and he said it was nothing.

I thought I was being paranoid as usual lol but today weeks later I had a look as she is itching herself and licking. Just under the vagina in the crease around it it's all black and crusty and sore. The first thing it reminded me of is the ear mites our cat used to get. That build up of black crusty stuff. I had a look online and it can occur on the vagina. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to have it looked at and get treated but just wondered if anyone else has any experience of this.

I tried to take a pic but she's very sore there and won't let me get a decent shot. It's not in the vagina it's at teh bottom in that crease.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Our old poodle used to get that Marie. I know exactly what you are talking about. I think it is a fungal/yeast infection. It's not ear mites, although that black debris does look like it. You could try using a good over the counter anti-yeast cream (athletes foot or jock itch cream) and rub into the area. You might need to cone her to keep her from licking. The licking is making the area moist and irritated so that is contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh thanks, I was wondering if it's safe to use a cream for humans. I will get some and try that first then. I'll give it a clean and get all that gunk off with cotton wool. We do have a collar here from ages back we used to have to put on the cat so I can use that.

Should I get a cream used for women's vaginal yeast problems like for thrush?

Yeah it is moist looking under the crusty bits, it looks a bit raw too like it's been bleeding. She's not happy at all, she's usually very gentle but snapped at me when I had a look.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned the area. It took some doing because it's so sore Lola was snapping at me which isn't her at all. I tried with just warm water but the crusty black wouldn't come off so had to use some antifungal shampoo on it.

Now I can see it's the crease around the bottom on one side of her vagina. That crease is red raw. I've popped a cone on her and I've got some vagisil which is a cream for vaginal thrush so hopefully that will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Poor girl, I hope she feels better soon. It probably itches like crazy. can you put some hydrocortizone on it as well, to calm down the itch.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hopefully that does the trick! Probably exactly what I would have done. I would say if in 3 days you do not see improvement, get her to the vet. But, it sounds like Tracy is familiar with the problem enough that you may be able to treat it yourself :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor girl, I hope she feels better soon. It probably itches like crazy. can you put some hydrocortizone on it as well, to calm down the itch.
the cream I got is for the itching too

Hopefully that does the trick! Probably exactly what I would have done. I would say if in 3 days you do not see improvement, get her to the vet. But, it sounds like Tracy is familiar with the problem enough that you may be able to treat it yourself :)
Yeah if it's not looking any better by Monday I'll take her in. I was gonna take her tomorrow but Tracy gave me that advice and has experience with it so I thought I'd give that a go first.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh no just found out vagisil is nly for the itch and hasn't got any anti fungal treatment in it!!! Off to get some canesten now.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Ling Ling had this, too. Vet gave me an anti fungal shampoo to use every three weeks. It really helped.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Let us know how she does Marie. If the black crusties are really thick, you can soak a cotton ball in baby oil and let it sit on the area. That will soften it up and then the black crusts will come off. And yes, it will look sore and raw. Just keep it clean and smeared with the anti-fungal cream and you should see improvement in a day. :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let us know how she does Marie. If the black crusties are really thick, you can soak a cotton ball in baby oil and let it sit on the area. That will soften it up and then the black crusts will come off. And yes, it will look sore and raw. Just keep it clean and smeared with the anti-fungal cream and you should see improvement in a day. :)
I can't thank you enough, it's looking better already!! I had some antifungal shampoo so I used that to wash the area. I used some athlete foot cream and she has a cone on. She really was in pain and struggled like mad. Today when I cleaned it she didn't struggle at all!!! It is looking a lot better but still very raw. I'll keep up the cream and cleaning and hopefully she'll be all healed soon.

You've saved me an expensive trip to the vet

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So happy she is doing better Marie! Great news. :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So happy she is doing better Marie! Great news. :)
I woke up this morning and Lola was asleep on my bed next to me minus her cone!!! Looked and it was open on the bed so I popped it back on.

Tried to put cream on today and get a good look and she's going crazy!!! She is usually so gentle. It's hard to get a decent look because with dad holding her she's fighting and struggling and flapping her legs about. But it looks redder to me, plus her actual vagina now looks a bit red I think. So I'm thinking it's worse or she dug at it in the night.

Sunday tomorrow so vet is closed so taking her in Monday, I've tried to help her myself but it's not working out so just gonna get her seen to properly. The sad thing is it was looking better after day 1 and she wasn't even struggling!!!

I'll post back here Monday and let you know how we get on at the vets.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh what a shame! Poor baby,sure the vet will sort her out.Keep us updated Marie
Yeah I'm really annoyed at the mo because it's changed her personality. She's never once bitten me and she did today when I put the cream on. Plus nobody is any good at holding her still apart from me but then if I hold her nobody will put the cream on for me because they're too scared. I did it holding her myself earlier with one hand and doing the cream with the other and that's how I got bitten.

I can't get a chance to have a decent look because by the time I part the fur and start to look dad has given up holding her!!!

I'll let you all know Monday what the vet says.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She may need something stronger than the over the counter stuff. Let us know what the vet says!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Yeah I'm really annoyed at the mo because it's changed her personality. She's never once bitten me and she did today when I put the cream on. Plus nobody is any good at holding her still apart from me but then if I hold her nobody will put the cream on for me because they're too scared. I did it holding her myself earlier with one hand and doing the cream with the other and that's how I got bitten.

I can't get a chance to have a decent look because by the time I part the fur and start to look dad has given up holding her!!!

I'll let you all know Monday what the vet says.
when I have to hold them and do something like eye drops I wrap them in a towel to keep control. hope she feels better soon :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I do the towel and put peanut butter on the roof of bijoux mouth. It keeps her busy gives her a treat and makes the process much better

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think Roxy has this same issue! I've noticed for a little while that it's black in color around that area... so after reading this post I did check again more thoroughly.. In the crease of that area. This has to be it! But, she doesn't lick the area more than any other dog. So I'm not sure, but I definitely think this is at least similar, especially since Tracy has mentioned the 'black debris'. Does it matter what kind of anti fungal cream? Any specific suggestions?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I was told with Ling Ling not to remove the black bits as it is very, very painful. The shampoo or lotion softens up the black stuff and it falls off as it gets better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts