Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone's chi ever had ear mites? i have been keeping a close watch on zoey's ears lately because there seems to be a dark matter in there and i dont know if it's ear wax or mites! i cleaned them out one day w/ a kleenex but didnt think to look at the discharge for white specks. she doesnt seem to be uncomfortable and she doesnt scratch anymore than she ususally does. i have a month until we have to go back to the vet for her last round of shots-- should i wait till then? or should i go to the vet sooner?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I would thinks she would be scratching or shaking her head there should be an odor too. They multiply quickly....it's suppose to look like coffee grounds...or flecks of dried blood. Clean them again and see if u get anything and look at it more carefully. Kemo's wax looks kinda reddish brown. I personally think she would be showing more signs :?
Let us know. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yes, Kemo's mamma is right: there would be lots of scatching at the ears and possibly head-shaking, too. The normal ear wax is just a reddish-brown, like Kemo's mamma described.

I have the vet check Tucker's ears every time we go in, as Tucker sometimes scratches at them and I want to keep on top of things before they get out of hand. The vet always says the ears look good, just a bit of wax in them. I use Vet Solutions ear cleaner about once a month in Tucker's ears. I squeeze some into his ear, massage a bit, then let the him shake his head. Afterwards I just wipe the inside of the ear with a cotton ball. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, her earwax is dark brownish... looks darker when its actually IN her ear. when we went to the vet the 2nd week in july, the vet looked in her ears and said she has no mites. i was just thinking that maybe she developed them since then.

i'm not gonna worry about it unless she starts shaking her head/scratching alot more than she does now.

THANKS so much for the info! :wave: :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
They are contagious from contact with one animal that has them to another animal that doesn't. That's about all I know on how ear mites are acquired.

I found a stray one time, brought her home and put her in the fenced back yard with our dog. When I took the stray to the vet's office, the vet found that she had ear mites. He had me treat both dogs, since it's easily acquired through contact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts