Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of us were standing around talking at work this week - about our fur babies, of course, and one lady mentioned she'd spent Saturday morning trying to find someone to pierce her schnauzer's ears. :confused:

I thought she was teasing, but she wasn't. She finally found a vet to do it.

Is this common?

If so, it's not something I would ever consider - I'm of the opinion that even human babies should be given the option of waiting until they're old enough to make their own decision, so unless Gracie starts talking (for real) and tells me she wants her ears done, it's not happening.

What do you think about this?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Are you serious? I have never heard of any vet doing that before, shame on them. That's gross and mean =( that just seems like it would hurt them for some reason and plus wouldn't that be uncomfortable to them? It just seems weird, not cool at all!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have heard of it before, in NYC... Someone who also dyed their white dog pink.

I agree. Cruel and stupid. When my daughter was a baby my MIL wanted to get her ears pierced and I was like "it'll be a waste of money cause I'll take them right out!" I refused to get them pierced till she was old enough to ask for it and take care of them herself.

Now... I believe to each his own with their human babies... But a dog? What if it gets infected? What if the dog scratches it's ear and tears it out? What if it gets caught on something? Oh my goodness, there is a whole list of reasons for me NOT to do that!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have heard of it before, in NYC... Someone who also dyed their white dog pink.

I agree. Cruel and stupid. When my daughter was a baby my MIL wanted to get her ears pierced and I was like "it'll be a waste of money cause I'll take them right out!" I refused to get them pierced till she was old enough to ask for it and take care of them herself.

Now... I believe to each his own with their human babies... But a dog? What if it gets infected? What if the dog scratches it's ear and tears it out? What if it gets caught on something? Oh my goodness, there is a whole list of reasons for me NOT to do that!
Um ya I never got that dye your dog pink thing! LOL I love pink but ya my girls can look adorable in it with their clothing not hair LOL I agree what if it got caught when they were scratching and it got ripped out =( Thats wrong just thinking about it!

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
When I saw the title I thought This was in the wrong section. :(
I never heard of this and I cant believe a vet would agree to do this. :foxes15:

I didn't even think about this part and I hated the idea.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
This makes me sick.

I overheard my vet scolding a patient a few visits back, his office is very small and it only has 2 exam rooms with no noise barrier, she had her dog elaborately tattooed with her initials (in case it got lost) and he was so mad, dogs aren't livestock to be branded; they domesticated house animals.

He then lectured her about the stupidity, and if the ink had made the dog sick, so on and so forth.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Interesting I've known a fair few breeders who tattoo dogs.
Ears? no way.. how ridiculous and cruel!!!

BIG no no in my books.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Interesting I've known a fair few breeders who tattoo dogs.
Ears? no way.. how ridiculous and cruel!!!

BIG no no in my books.
Yeah I don't think he was scolding so much that it's unheard of, but you should have seen this poor dog, it was like something you'd see on a person, not just a quick initials.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I dont even like the thought of it... It sounds so mean :( sooo Not in this house!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My cousins wanted to pierce my aunts chi's ears when they first got her (she has since passed without holes I might add). I couldn't believe anyone would be dumb enough to think was cool. I think it should be considered animal cruelty.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I believe in some states it is considered animal cruelty...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i can't believe a vet agreed to do it, some people are so stupid, dogs with their ears pierced, surely when they scratch their ears they would rip them out. how cruel, the vet should be struck off

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Im not particularly surprised that there are people out there who think its an OK idea to pierce their dogs ears, but Im definitely bummed to think some of them are vets! As others have said, I would think it would be only to easy for it to catch on a nail etc, and I can say with complete certainty that if a dog in our house had earrings in they would be ripped out in 5 minutes, all my guys are constantly tugging on each other ears when they roughhouse. All around a bad bad idea!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Owah that's terrible :( I mean Cici runs about wild as it is which I'm worried about in case she runs into something but knowing she's running about wild with a piercing in her ear which could easily tear off ohhhh I would be stressed out to the max, why would she want that anyway? Our dogs don't need accessories to look gorgeous!!!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.